Honored Contributor

ᴘɪɴᴛᴇʀᴇsᴛ: ɢᴏᴏᴅᴊᴜᴊᴜᴛʀɪʙᴇ // ɪɢ: @ɢᴏᴏᴅᴊᴜᴊᴜᴛʀɪʙᴇ ॐ:

Thought you might like to see this happy fox. and it's friend. Heart

I love red foxes. Heart

Honored Contributor

Gaviota solitaria:

Honored Contributor

Wading Birds Forage In Colorful Sunset, Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Delaware:

Honored Contributor

Spring flowers and  Hummingbird:

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

Bees drinking the water from the Bird Bath.:

Honored Contributor

@possummink wrote:

Bees drinking the water from the Bird Bath.:

@possummink  Marvelous!!!

Honored Contributor

Nice picture of the hummingbird and the bees. 

I have some wildflower seeds in a packet.  Anyone know when I should put them in the ground?  If I plant them this spring do you think I'll have any flowers this summer?  I'd like to do my part for the bees.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @Bird mama. I'm so sad today and have been for a few days. Crying and trying everything I can think of to save my l9 year old cockatiel.

I got my cockatiel from my mom when she passed away. She had him two or three years and gave him so much love, and I got the sweetest bird ever. I've had him for l4 years. He's such a happy bird and given me more pleasure imagineable. When I take his cover off in the morning, he comes down, walking towards me with his head down making kissing sounds and gives me a kiss. So much pleasure from such a little cockatiel.

He stopped eating a few days ago. I took him to the vet and she said he was just old and offered to put him to sleep. I took him home. I've been giving him the only favorite things he'll eat a little bit of: sunflower seeds, millet and honey sticks, little bit of egg. Not enough.

The vet said birds of prey will not act sick, until they're actually dying, b/c they hide it. And could go like this for weeks. I'm trying to make him healthy again, but I don't want for him to have the pain of starving to death.

How does anyone do with their pet birds when they're dying? I've nursed so many incurables, trying to cure them. It's very hard.

Honored Contributor

Re: April 2017 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@febe1   

Oh sweetheart I am so sorry.  I live with birds that most avian vets will not treat - sparrows and a pigeon.  I'm pretty much on my own because what I live with is considered invasive species or dime a dozen.  I've even read the dime a dozen remark from wildlife rehabbers.

So far I've lost one bird.  Her name was Peewee, she was the first of two sparrows I hand raised straight out of the egg.  She passed away when she was 9 years and 9 days old.

I noticed that my little Peewee was acting even more low key about 2-3 weeks before she passed away.  She ate, she drank, she flew.  To be honest, she looked like she was flying in slow motion.  Oh, my birds are not caged, they have access to 3 rooms - aviary like.

I panicked of course and reached out to a finch breeder, since sparrows are in the finch family, in California.  She was in her 70's and had been breeding finches since she was a child.  She has a business - ladygoudlianfinch dot com - so that's how I knew her.

We talked about possible supplements, could be be egg binded - I was out of my mind.  Joanne told me, Bernadette, your Peewee is remarkable, I've never heard of a finch of any kind making it to age 9.

I ordered a couple of supplements and my Peewee continued to eat what she wanted, when she wanted - I didn't pressure her.

I can't tell you how many times I came home early from work or just cried at my desk.  I was there the day she was born, I begged God to let me be there the day she went home.

It was like watching a clock that was winding down.  Like a watch with a low battery, moving, just more slowly.  Fourth of July weekend, I cut the grass and came up to check on her and noticed she was sitting on a towel, outside of her habitat - not a place she would normally sit.

I knew - it was like someone hit me in the gut.  I grabbed a small basket, lined it with a towel and took her downstairs and told her the story of her birth and how happy and blessed I was when her and her brother's nest (Poppi will be 12 in June) landed on the patio after a storm.

I just talked softly to her as we looked at each other in the eye and she did what I've seen upteen outside birds do at the end.  She inhaled, extended her wings and by the time her wings fell back into place, she was over the rainbow bridge.

I can't lie to you - I died a little that day.  I brought her upstairs so that her brother Poppi (also 9), Grayson (the rescue pigeon who was 5) and Presto (1 - my youngest sparrow) could understand what happened.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise