Honored Contributor

Re: April 2017 Bird's Nest

[ Edited ]

@yock

So my excitement yesterday was Poppi flying into the room that used to be Max's (dog) bedroom.  The birds rarely go in there and somehow Poppi veered left instead of going straight across the hall from one room to the next.  Now, he's been maintaining his own beak since August 2016 so that last time I've really handled him was July 2016.

I hear him chirping and don't see him in the usual rooms and that's when I find him in Max's old room.  This room is not a clear shot through the door like the other rooms.  You have to zig a little when you are entering or exiting.  So it hits me he don't know how to get out of the room.  He's sitting on the ceiling fan and I walk in and say, let Mama get you outta here.

That's when the circus began - he flew behind the dresser, then he flew into the closet on the shoe rack and then he flew behind a purse on a rolling storage thing.  I finally picked up him and sat down in the office and placed him on my chest (I was leaning back) to get some fuzzies off of him that he picked up in the closet.

I was talking to him softly and then when I placed him on the padded top of his habitat, he let out a fearful screech and rolled over like he died.

He does what a killdeer does except he screams when he does it.

At that time I had my hand up (like a prayer position) but spaced apart as if it cup him so he would bolt and fall down.  All I could whisper was Francis and it felt like my legs were going to buckle.

Poppi sat up, leaned against my left hand and was panting.  I spoke softly and said little man did you have a heart attack or a stroke?  He just looked at me and we stared at each other for about 5 minutes before I back away slowly to give him his space.

He was fine in about 10 minutes which is more than I can say for me Woman LOL

He's fine today

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama

You and Poppi certainly had an eventful time yesterday!  I am wondering if he was frightened because he did not recognize his surroundings.  I hope today was a better day for the both of you.  Glad to hear that he was fine today. 

Hope that you are feeling better today too!

On Friday we reached in the low 80's, yesterday mid 70's and today the mid 50's.  AC was on for 2 days and today the heat went back on.  Cloudy with a little drizzle today and hopefully some rain tonight.  We are still very dry.

DH thought that he saw a hummingbird yesterday which is a bit early but tomorrow I will be putting out the feeder for them.  Can't wait to see them!

Have a great rest of the night everyone!

Honored Contributor

May Bird's Nest is up

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/May-Flowers-2017-at-the-Bird-s-Nest/td-p/3733239

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise