Esteemed Contributor

Re: Appointment Dilemma - Appointment v Walk-in

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Although I would not have confronted the customer in this case, I did walk up to the employee and customer once at a garden store and once somewhere else and said to the store employee "I'm sorry but you were helping me" when someone "hijacked" the employee from me by interrupting to ask a question and the sales person turns attention to them for too long.

Have you had that happen?  Someone walks up, interrupts and asks a question, then the employee attention and time go to the interrupter?  

Yep!  I can recall specifically twice I've said "But you were waiting on me" and felt it was justified.

@Sooner   Yes!  It did, in fact, happen the other day in the UPS store.  Fellow in front of me with large box, only one clerk in the store and she was having trouble finding this guy's info in the systerm.  I was next in line and the line was quickly growing behind me.  Literally stood in line for 15 minutes but I wasn't in a hurry and needed my package to be shipped so I waited.  When it was my turn, I stepped up, and the lady behind me steps to the side and asks the clerk, not me, "can you just scan this for me????"  Clerk says "OK," but I told the clerk that I've been waiting and it's my turn.  The clerk actually took the lady and had to try scanning her label a few times.  It's okay because I know the manager of the store personally so I already complained about her!  Doubt clerk Tracy will ever do that again.  You learn to wait your turn in kindergarten.

Your story reminded me of a discussion about letting people with one or two items ahead of you in line at store.  Apparently you are the person who would make them wait behind you with a full cart.

I think the difference here is that the woman did not ask the person in front of her if she minded - and apparently her "scan" took longer than it probably would have to process the correct customer in turn.

Yes I offer to let those with a couple of items go before me if I have several, but if someone just pushed in front of me, I probably wouldn't be so accommodating.

Please and thank you go a long way - much farther than the - I just have a quick request and it's so much more important than yours and I'm in a hurry and clearly need to have my issue resolved first.

While the person making the request may have been rude, I don't know what she may have had going on that day.  To get the clerk in trouble for trying to get the line moving a bit was even worse.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

omg!! i know the feeling.. happens to me at my nail salon. and i always make appts. i think they should tell the person that they have an apt. at such and such a time.. but can so and so take you to finish you. i have already had to wait like that for up to 20 to 30 min before.. and i sat there thinking i bet this darn person was a walk in!! the nail tech knows how long you have been going to them they shouldnt make you wait for a walk in... in my opinion. and i go every 2 weeks always.. so i can feel your frustration!! i was at my nail salon and 2 walk ins didnt want to wait.. the nail place was busy, and they were told it will be like 15, 20 min.. so they sat there and i knew they were getting mad by the way they were acting.. than they got up and left.. oh well, they are people in there that make appts for a certain time and dont just walk in and expect everything and everyone to stop for them.. ok end of my rant  lol but i love your post, and i know the feeling 100 %!!!!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy 

That clerk deserved to be reported.  Before scanning the line jumper, she should have asked the person in line if she minded allowing the jumper to go ahead.

I offer the person with just a few items to go ahead of me, but that is my prerogative, not the cashier's and not the person in line behind me.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

That clerk deserved to be reported.  Before scanning the line jumper, she should have asked the person in line if she minded allowing the jumper to go ahead.

I offer the person with just a few items to go ahead of me, but that is my prerogative, not the cashier's and not the person in line behind me.

Guess you are just that kind of person also.  Have you ever worked customer service?  My guess is no, or you would have a much different perspective.  You need to juggle many different things at the same time, not be laser focused on the task in front of you.  Looking at things from someone else's perspective no longer exisists.....everything is about ME.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

The person that cut in line at the Post office was the one who was thinking only about "me."  Apparently she decided she shouldn't have to wait in the line while other people did.  I call those types of people entitled.  I am in the PO a lot for work.  Many times the only thing I need is a stamp on a certificate of mailing so I can show the Court I mailed something.  I have waited in line 20+ minutes just to get that stamp.  I am in and out in seconds.  But I wait in line just like everyone else has to.  Occassionally another clerk will come out from the back and ask if anyone just needs to pick something up or drop something off and I will usually speak up and they will have me come right up to stamp my certificate.  But I would never take it upon myself to cut in front of people and say I only need a stamp.  Who does that?  I would reprimand a child for doing something like that.  A grown adult should definitely know better.  Geez.

Honored Contributor

Oh as to the question at hand here.  I get my nails done every 3 weeks.  I go to a small Asian owned and operated salon.  They are mostly walk-ins but they also take appointments.  I learned long ago to make an appointment however I also learned long ago they aren't great at sticking to the appointment schedule because of the walk-ins.  I have been going to the same place for 10+ years.  

I call and make my appointment but I know if I have a 5:30 appointment and someone walks in at 5:10 for a service, the salon isn't going to turn them away.  I have waited 30 minutes, sometimes slightly longer for my appointment.  There have been times the customer wanted both a mani and pedi and my tech will do one of the services and then pass the person off to another available tech for the next service if I am waiting.