Respected Contributor

Re: Appointment Dilemma - Appointment v Walk-in

You did the right thing A wait time of 15 minutes (occasionally) is understandable, after that not acceptable. I hope you explained why you were walking out. Find another salon where they treat their customers better. 

Respected Contributor

I have had many different types of appointments in life, and I go to the place because I really like or am impressed with the individual or location providing the service.

If I had nothing else to do, I would be patient and wait.  It is not the fault of the nail salon worker that the customer is taking a long time or being difficult. And who cares if she was a walk-in or not--nobody ever really knows exactly how long something will take.

I have a lot of sympathy for service workers.  My hairdresser is fabulous and I never begrudge waiting for her.  At least your tech came to you several times regarding the wait.

I am especially patient when I have veterinarian appointments and emergencies get priority.  

You should have asked to reschedule after 15 minutes if you really could not wait, not sit there and stew.  

Not sure what the point of all this discussion is, because you did NOT get your nails done, but maybe you will have better luck at your next appointment--or maybe you will just walk in!

Esteemed Contributor

I might have waited but the OP was not wrong. If another person was available to do the walk-in's nails, that's what should have been done. It was foolish to give priority to a stranger over a long-standing customer. I had a doctor who had a huge sign in her office. "Patients who are more than ten minutes late will not be seen but will be charged." The doctor was always behind so I asked her one time if I could charge her for being more than ten minutes late. She was not amused. I haven't seen her since.

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  I agree with you if waiting for a doctor, dentist, vet etc. I always think that the doctor is running late because someone had an emergency and that emergency might be me one day. Salons  are notorious for squeezing people in. Can't let a customer walk, even if it interferes with a customer who has a standing appointment. The salon should have given the walk in a time limit before they started her manicure. Not good business sense.

Esteemed Contributor

IMO, you did what seemed right at the time, and that's OK.  It'll blow over and you can decide whether or not to go back.  I'm sure the salon will be happy to have you, but there seem to be an abundance of those places so it shouldn't be hard to find a new one.

I completely understand being at your wit's end over things beyond your control (as in, taking care of your relative), and that just carries over when things that you expect to go your way, don't.  The nail tech is between a rock and a hard place.

Take a deep breath and make another appt for the mani/pedi!  Better luck this time and best wishes to you and your family.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I used to leave work an hour or half hour (using my earned personal time) to get my hair colored and cut. Same stylist and general appointment time for years. I was always prompt and didn't mind waiting a little while if the stylist was busy or running late.

Then a customer (a friend of the stylist) started showing up while I was waiting and two times I was asked if I minded waiting while she got her hair cut as this customer's work day had just ended. (Why this was a reason I'll never know.....)

The next time I was asked if I minded I said 'well, I could've stayed working and not have had to use use my own time on the timecard. And since I'm on time for my appointment maybe she could wait awhile.'

Never happened again. I'm sure they both thought I was a jerk, but, no, I wasn't the jerk.....

The salon manager's response to you was dumb. A walk-in might never return. You were there for your regular time.

Esteemed Contributor

@BarbiHollywood

I would have waited some customers can be difficult . 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly unless I had someplace else to be i would have waited.  Apparently the walk in was taking way more time than expected.  You saw it yourself how much time she was taking.  The tech would have had no idea the appointment would take that long.  She was providing good customer service.  Unless this has happened before would give her a break.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood   It is frustrating and I'm not sure there's a right answer. Maybe walk-ins and those w/ appts. should arrive early enough to choose their polish before their appt. The few times I've had pedis, I was asked to choose my polish color when I walked in and then shown where to sit to wait. 

The salons did lose a lot of business during Covid and trying to stay in business now means not turning away walk ins and not irritating those w/ appts. They're caught between a rock and a hard place. 

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

I would not wait longer than 30 minutes.  I don't know why we have to tiptoe around all these service people.

@decaf   If we want their services, yes there's a lot of give and take.