Respected Contributor

Appointment Dilemma - Appointment v Walk-in

Hello, first time on this Among Friends board...

I'd like opinions, please, on something that just happened to me at the nail salon I've been going to for over five years.  I've been with the same nail tech for even longer than that as I have followed her from place to place.  My question is about appointments vs walk-ins.  I'm warning you, this is a lengthy post!

I always make an appointment at least a day prior.  I've had a rough couple of weeks dealing with an elderly, sickly stepmother and really looked forward to today's 3:00 appointment for a much-needed mani-pedi.  I arrived on time, saw my tech was finishing up the lady in her chair, so I fiddled on my phone to kill time.  I saw that the lady in the chair had already had a pedicure and was apparently getting a manicure now.  She kept making the tech go back and forth to help her pick a color.  Every time the tech went over with the sample boards, the lady didn't like the color.  This went on for a while.  The tech came over to ask me if I could wait another 15 minutes.  I said no and left.  As I walked out, I thought to myself, go back in, just wait, you'll get your mani-pedi.  But it was the principle.  I walked to my car and phoned the manager inside to ask if the lady in the chair was a walk-in or had an appointment.  I was told she was a walk-in.  I then asked why the tech was scheduled with such a long appointment knowing that she had a 3:00 appointment coming in and also asked why the lady wasn't shown over to someone else to finish since the appointment (me) had arrived on time and waited a pretty long time.  I was told once they start, they can not pass to another nail tech.  I've never heard of that before. Not sure if it's their salon policy or a law.

So my question to you is this:  Should someone with an appointment be expected to just sit there and wait or should the salon have handled things differently?  I know there have been times when I've asked for additional services at the last minute but have been told they were too booked to accommodate me.  I also know that sometimes you have to wait, but 45 minutes isn't right.,

(Is it the end of the world?  No!  Guess I'm just grumpy today!!!)

Trusted Contributor

Re: Appointment Dilemma - Appointment v Walk-in

I would not wait longer than 30 minutes.  I don't know why we have to tiptoe around all these service people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

I'd like opinions, please, on something that just happened to me at the nail salon I've been going to for over five years.  I've been with the same nail tech for even longer than that as I have followed her from place to place.  My question is about appointments vs walk-ins.  I'm warning you, this is a lengthy post!

I always make an appointment at least a day prior.  I've had a rough couple of weeks dealing with an elderly, sickly stepmother and really looked forward to today's 3:00 appointment for a much-needed mani-pedi.  I arrived on time, saw my tech was finishing up the lady in her chair, so I fiddled on my phone to kill time.  I saw that the lady in the chair had already had a pedicure and was apparently getting a manicure now.  She kept making the tech go back and forth to help her pick a color.  Every time the tech went over with the sample boards, the lady didn't like the color.  This went on for a while.  The tech came over to ask me if I could wait another 15 minutes.  I said no and left.  As I walked out, I thought to myself, go back in, just wait, you'll get your mani-pedi.  But it was the principle.  I walked to my car and phoned the manager inside to ask if the lady in the chair was a walk-in or had an appointment.  I was told she was a walk-in.  I then asked why the tech was scheduled with such a long appointment knowing that she had a 3:00 appointment coming in and also asked why the lady wasn't shown over to someone else to finish since the appointment (me) had arrived on time and waited a pretty long time.  I was told once they start, they can not pass to another nail tech.  I've never heard of that before. Not sure if it's their salon policy or a law.

So my question to you is this:  Should someone with an appointment be expected to just sit there and wait or should the salon have handled things differently?  I know there have been times when I've asked for additional services at the last minute but have been told they were too booked to accommodate me.  I also know that sometimes you have to wait, but 45 minutes isn't right.,

@BarbiHollywood @If the walk-in client began getting services before your scheduled appointment time then I feel that the salon should finish with her. The walk-in should not have her services interrupted. If the walk-in was started within the average time frame for mani pedi, and there was enough time before your scheduled appointment,; then the salon was acting reasonably because the salon could not have predicted the unexpected, unusual predicament. 
I think you should have waited. Your manicurist has consistently met your expectations and this was an unusual circumstance. Things like this happen. 

Valued Contributor

You did the right thing, IMO.  I had a long time hair dresser who I had followed from place to place and for year upon year.  One day she made me wait 45 minutes while she took her time with a new customer and granting her every wish.  I waited and later thought I should have done what you did and WALK OUT.  I never went back.  Oh, BTW, as I waited I had a good chance to look around and decided the place was wet and filthy.  There were no clean chairs to sit in--all were wet and near the shampooing area.  Plus, there was clutter on countertops, hair on the floor, and I could go on. Nasty and I also remembered going on ice to get to the door in the winter.  Later on, the hairdresser called and wondered why she never saw me again.  I told her the problem and she blamed it on the salon owner.  No way!

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty easy going so if this was a one time occurrence and I was happy with the work, I would have waited. If it happened often , I would look for another salon.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@BarbiHollywood I had the same thing happen to me years ago...walked out and never went back

Honored Contributor

If I had an appointment, I would not wait more than 15 minutes.  

Honored Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

I would have rescheduled. 

I understand why they took the walk-in, but sounds like that customer needed more looking after.

would not sit 45 minutes at the salon waiting when I had an appt 

Honored Contributor

Whether you wanted to wait or not is up to you depending on your time available and patience.  However, the situation your tech found herself involved with was beyond her control.  The customer was paying just like you do and deserved good service, however it seems she was unduly picky and difficult.  Those people come along and must be delt with as tactfully as possible.  I'm sure your tech would have been happy to be rid of her.  When dealing with people, things often don't go as we'd prefer, requiring patience on your part too.  You could have rescheduled if unable or unwilling to wait. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Just as you are a long-time customer, they are a long time supplier, and they have a track record too.

If this was the first time it happened then I would grit my teeth and stay. But the owner needs to know how folks are getting scheduled and if there is enough time between clients.