Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone using Eliquis had effects of this drug??

@Tyak 

DH went on Eliquis early December.  The cardiologist told him that once you start it, you cannot stop it for fear of a stroke.

Your post has me wondering...why or how can you get off the medication without bad effects ?  If you prefer not to respond, I will understand.  TIA

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  And yes, BOTH doctor and pharmacist it was caused by the Eliquis.  Since he has AFIB, he must take it.  Thank you, again.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@lizzyjean  You haven't called the doctor for his advice and expertise?? Please don't ask such dangerous medical questions here, seek a doctor.

The OP's post clearly stated that she called doctor and pharmacist. No need to take her to task.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Tyak 

DH went on Eliquis early December.  The cardiologist told him that once you start it, you cannot stop it for fear of a stroke.

Your post has me wondering...why or how can you get off the medication without bad effects ?  If you prefer not to respond, I will understand.  TIA

@jlkz 

Not @Tyak, and I can only speak for myself concerning blood thinners. My purpose for being on Coumadin(warfarin) was because of my 2 episodes of Pulmonary Embolism, which kills thousands of patients every year. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have survived not only once, but twice.

Before my friend, who is a Spinal Surgeon, would remove my ruptured L-3 lumbar disc, he told me I HAD TO HAVE a Titanium Vena Cava filter put in via my groin. These are said to block roughly 85% of PE, the above mentioned.

You can read my story about blood draws in my other post. After being on Coumadin(warfarin) for about 5 years, I began to have a serious Colon Bleeding issue. Spent many different weeks in the hospital, along with 15 Colonoscopies being performed to locate the bleed.

During that time I have had over 130 blood transfusions and suffered from Anemia for most of those years. I also have had 25-30 Iron Infusions(still need them at times). I was getting blood transfusions, as an Outpatient every 3 weeks, along with regular Iron Infusions when my Iron Ferritin Levels dropped too low.

I finally decided I no longer wanted to live a sedentary life the rest of my years, and spoke about my concerns with both my Pulmonologist and Cardiologist about stopping taking the Coumadin(warfarin). I explained that I am willing to run the risk of PE, as opposed to living the exact opposite lifestyle I was now living.

Both of them knew my athletic and active history and they both concurred my quality of life was much more important to me than how long I lived. I was, and am still, rolling the dice on what will kill me, and I quit taking Coumadin(warfarin) in early 2009.

I am now enjoying the type of life I love. How long that lasts is my least concern. I live each day as they come and plan on continuing to do so for however many years that might be.

My story has nothing to do with "strokes", and everything to do with PE(lung blood clots) and living an Anemic Life, which along with having so many Blood Transfusions, also has it's many risks.

I don't know about the Eliquis/Pradaxa/Xeralto type of blood thinners, but in my case, I am taking the risk to be able to "live my life" not watch it miserably "slip by".

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@katte wrote:

I have been on Eliquis for about a year and a half and have had no problems.  I was on Coumadin for a very long time.  When I was on the Coumadin I was tired of the blood tests once a month and constantly watching anything with Vitamin K as that enfluenced my INR levels.  I asked my cardiologist if I could switch to Eliquis and he was ecstatic.  I can now enjoy vegetables without worrying about my blood levels.  

@katte 

Don't  know why you were/are on blood thinners and that is strictly your business. On Coumadin and a monthly blood test? My average blood tests over my 7 years on Coumadin(warfarin) was over 3 times per week, had times I went 7 days a week. Yes, they were full blood draws, not a finger stick. 

Regardless of what blood thinner a person might be taking, their INR is still a very important factor. Eating foods that are known to enhance chances of blood clotting? I was, and still am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and though I no longer am on Coumadin(warfarin), I stay away from all the darker green veggies, and eat a minimum of the others.

"I can now enjoy vegetables without worrying about my blood levels"?  Anyone that is on a blood thinner is prescribed them for a reason, especially patients that are on them long term, maybe forever.  They are prescribed most often to help in preventing blood clots.

To each be their own.

hckynut

I'm on a blood thinner for AFIB.  I also had a pacemaker put in last October.  

Honored Contributor

@katte 

Thank you for your info. My best wishes to you and I hope these heart issues can be kept under control.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut 

Thank you for the detailed response.  I do remember when I first came on the board reading about your serious adventures in the hospital.  Your supported decision to live the quality of life you want may actually lengthen your life !

DH’s AFIB hasn’t caused him to stop biking and exercising, things he has done almost forever since jogging had to go by the wayside.  He has done well since the 6 stents in the 90’s and the additional  6 stents  in 2015.  His story is associated with bad genes.

My concern is if something comes up that requires him to stop the medication for a procedure.

In light of all the blood transfusions that you have endured, I will always remember you when I donate blood.  I wish I had started earlier but fear of needles was a hurdle I had to overcome.  I should reach 50 pints this year.

May your days be filled with joy and smooth ice !!! 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill