Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone still rent DVDs from Netflix?

Yes, I've been on their 2 rentals a month (one at a time) for years.  It's only $5.50 and worth it to me.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlueFinch wrote:

I still receive Netflix DVD's by mail. It works best with my TV and sound system set-up.

I'm guessing that by exchanges, they're simply stating that after you watch the movie, or movies,  in the particular plan you've chosen, on return, they will exchange them for the next movie, or movies at the top of your Que. 

Very simple. I need to return one now for 'exchange,' but noted they are reporting delays in getting movies back to us due to Covid staffing issues, and mail delays in general.

No that's not what exchanges are - like I said before - that's just the program.  As soon as you return a DVD they send another one - they don't even wait until they actually have it in hand - they can tell from the bar code/tracking when it's been returnejd.

I'm guessing exchanges mean exchanging a damaged DVD but don't know for sure - I'm going to call them this morning - they open at 9AM my time.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hckynut - yes Netflix offers Bluray.  I don't think the increase in price is worth it plus I don't have a Bluray upstairs.  The regular DVDs are fine.  

By the way - I use Netflix streaming too; I also have Prime Video and Hulu Live; I have Peacock and HBO Max provided by my cable system.  Netflix DVDs are just another option.  And as I said somewhere - there are many movies that are only available on DVD especially the older ones.  

And - as I also mentioned - Netflix currently has about 2.5 million DVD subscribers.

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe Let us know what you find out. I haven't ever had to return a DVD, but there's a 'contact us,' for defective disc on the profile page. I gathered that they need notification that a disc is nonfunctional to remove it permanently, when it's mailed back.  

They can then note the account that you want the same movie back, if that's what you request. The word 'exchange' is applicable for requesting a new movie, or the same one due to defect. Not sure why they're focusing on the word 'exchange'. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So - "exchanges" DO mean returning the DVD for the next DVD.

If you're on the "one disc at a time" plan you pay 5.99 for two exchanges a month - the 7.99 and up plans allow unlimited exchanges.

There's no limit on "replacements" if there's a problem with the DVD.  

Thanks everyone!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe wrote:

Hckynut - yes Netflix offers Bluray.  I don't think the increase in price is worth it plus I don't have a Bluray upstairs.  The regular DVDs are fine.  

@FranandZoe 

Glad regular DVD's are fine for you. I prefer the better and the best when it comes to Video and Audio. I won't go  into the 1950's and Audio, or the 1960's with Video. Suffice it to say, I didn't like 220 lines of video resolutions when 425 lines were available on LaserDiscs and SVHS.

I didn't like monophonic sound on VHS tapes when linear stereo was available. I didn't like linear stereo when full megahertz stereo was available on SVHS tapes.

I didn't like full stereo sound when Quadrophonic surround sound was available. What I did was buy equipment and the software and hardware that could reproduce it.

Video at 425 lines was fine until the 720 lines became available. The 720 was fine until 1,280x 720 became available(called  HD). Now that was fine until 1920x1080( Full HD) was available. But when 4k is available, that is what I choose.

Some call me an Audio/Video purist, but believe me, there are many that go beyond what I said above. To me a "great" movie is only a "good" movie if it lacks DTS/Dolby or THX  Audio.

Many don't see or hear the difference because it isn't important to them. To me, any video/audio medium is lacking if it isn't at minimum 1920x1080(full HD). In Audio it is lacking if it's minimum is not Dolby Surround 5.1. 

On any DVD I buy, it has to be Bluray with any of the above Audio reproductions. If not, I pass on it. All of our DVD Players are Bluray except 1, it is a 4k player.

Now this is my short explanation, but if you would rather I post my more detailed version, just let me know.  :-)

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Alrighty then lol.

Honored Contributor

I like really old stuff that isn't available to stream or on TV, so I did the DVD thing for a few months this year.  I just cancelled yesterday as I've watched everything I wanted to watch that they had.

We have a great used bookstore in my town, so I have purchased a lot of DVDs from them and then sell them back for store credit.  They have been closed for most of the pandemic and may end up going out of business, so that's why I switched to Netflix DVD service.

If I really like something that I know I'll watch again, I'll just buy it used from sellers on ebay or amazon.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I like really old stuff that isn't available to stream or on TV, so I did the DVD thing for a few months this year.  I just cancelled yesterday as I've watched everything I wanted to watch that they had.

We have a great used bookstore in my town, so I have purchased a lot of DVDs from them and then sell them back for store credit.  They have been closed for most of the pandemic and may end up going out of business, so that's why I switched to Netflix DVD service.

If I really like something that I know I'll watch again, I'll just buy it used from sellers on ebay or amazon.

That's what got me started with Netflix - the old and older movies.  I do the same - buy my faves.  You can find a lot of them on Walmart and Best Buy online too.