Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone remember Walter Cronkite

I met and sat next to Walter Cronkite at a space launch many years ago. We were in the press section of a spectator area at the Space Center in Florida. He was so very nice and seemed just like he did on TV. No one has come close to delivering the news as he did.

Honored Contributor

I was home from school for tests I didn't have to take and saw the Kennedy tragedy unfold from Walter.

But the voice I hear in my head from that era is David Brinkley!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I was home from school for tests I didn't have to take and saw the Kennedy tragedy unfold from Walter.

Then you may recall when he announced the President was dead.  He removed his eyeglasses and wiped his eyes, quickly gained back his composure and continued. 

Newsmen were journalist then, not tabloid reporters.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  You believed what Walter Cronkite told you. So different from today.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

So, I guess we are revealing our ages when we share our memories of Walter Cronkite, but "That's the way it is."  Woman Happy

I was a very young elementary school student, but I still recall being sent home from school when JFK was shot and watching all the coverage on TV.  I will never forget seeing Walter Cronkite tear up announcing the death of JFK.  

My father loved Walter Cronkite and we watched the evening news every night.

Valued Contributor

Are you serious???

Who doesn't know who Walter C is?? Come on!

Trusted Contributor

@PhillyGirl23 wrote:

Are you serious???

Who doesn't know who Walter C is?? Come on!

@PhillyGirl23 you would think, but though he certainly has a place in history, he obviously has not been relevant for quite some time, even before passing away.

Although I would hazard a guess that the Q boards attract an "older crowd", there are certainly many far younger than I.  In speaking with young people, it has sometimes boggled my mind how they may not be familiar with a celebrity or person of note.  I have to remind myself that they grew up in a different time.

Honored Contributor

Sort of related.  I've noticed on Jeopardy that if there are three young contestants and the question is from the Cronkite era, all three will miss it.  And I don't mean just Cronkite, also movies, etc.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Sort of related.  I've noticed on Jeopardy that if there are three young contestants and the question is from the Cronkite era, all three will miss it.  And I don't mean just Cronkite, also movies, etc.

@depglass absolutely!  You hit the nail on the head!

We are huge Jeopardy! fans and never miss it.  The contestants are ususlly brilliant about most things like history, geography, science, etc., but more often than not things that fall under the catgory of "Pop Culture" stump them--sitcoms, movies, actors/actresses young and old.  I am generalizing, because it is certainly not the case for everyone, but I am sometimes shocked when they do not know these types of things.  I look at the contestants and if they are fairly young when a certain question comes up I say to myself "they will never get that"--and I am right.