Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone "go off" on The Dr. Medical Staff?

@grzbela wrote:

I am sympathetic to your sense of urgency, but did it make a difference?  In my opinion, yelling at a person that can't do anything is like yelling at a waitress if your food is poorly prepared.  It does no good to yell at a lower level staffer that can't help.  There have been suggestions to reach out to the office manager, leave a message for the MD.  And, if you can't get in, find out if they offer telehealth appointments.  I have found that that is easier to schedule than in person.  

@grzbela 

Actually, it did make a difference.  She was given an appointment for just 2 days later.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I haven't.  But I do think the OP could have gotten the same result more quickly by just asking to speak to the office manager after getting the first response.  

Trusted Contributor

@Scooby Doo I haven't but reading what you are going through/went through I certainly think you were warranted in doing what you did.

My doctor's group has a patient portal system so if it's something that can be answered the next day I can send her a message & she or her staff can get back to me the next day; I've only had to use it a couple times but it's worked well.

Super Contributor

Depending on the approach, how is "going off" right?

Respected Contributor

My Mother at 86 had spinal fusion surgery and she was so sick post-surg i had to arrange for transfer to rehab in a nursing home. i had no idea about SNF at all.

Now its a bad idea to go a SNF late Thurs or Friday because the SNF doctors are now in charge of all procedures and meds.  Plus the cat's away the rats will play.  IDK what the h3##  they do there but the  Hospital orders fell  through the cracks including Lasix and her pain meds. Mom's legs and feet were so swollen like big eggplants and her pain was off the charts. All we got was sorry, the doctor is not in til Monday.

i did a Shirley MacLaine at the nursing desk . MY MOTHER IS IN PAINNNN!!! GIVE MY MOTHER THE PAINNNN PILLLSSS !!!!!

This did not go well at all.  i had to go to her home for the pain meds, smuggling them in which by SNF rules is strictly verboten.   There were admin staff on power trips.   Nursing homes are HORRIBLE. Better to spend a few $$$ for a private duty nurse.

Honored Contributor

I got up and walked out of the doctors office once.  

I had been called back to the room, and sat ther for 30-45 minutes.  Either they forgot me or he had an emergency, I don't know but it shocked the staff but I was not waiting any longer.   My time is valuable as well.

Honored Contributor

Well, I try to be nice to others as much as possible too especially because a lot of people helping me are in jobs that I fortunately don't have to do!

But years ago while in an unfortunate time in the ER for horrible stomach pain, I was first given a wonderful and kind nurse.

Then later transferred to another cubicle as more pts coming in.

Hours later and waiting for a ct scan after drinking that awful stuff, I was in so much pain and probably dehydrated and just started to cry.

A new nurse came in and said sharply, "Why are you crying?!"

"Because it hurts!" I said. She left

after saying something else which I don't remember but wasn't comforting. I was so shocked and then mad.

I went out and saw her in the long counter of nurses with other patients and family hanging around and yelled "You are like Nurse Ratchet!!"

Then, the nice nurse I had at first I guess heard about it and said she was taking me back to her room. I told her what the nurse had said and she acknowledged that other patients had had similar experiences with that nurse.

I was so grateful to have her back and knew I wouldn't be yelled at for crying and being in pain.

Sometimes it only takes a little bit of kindness.

And only a mean remark to make you feel like "I"m mad and I'm not going to take it anymore!" And just be in tears.

Especially with uncaring bullies.

To this day I'm not sorry.

She may have been having a bad night herself but no need to be mean for no reason and treat any patient like that who is already trying to hold it together.

Of course I would never go off on any fellow driver-you may get yourself shot these days.

It's ok to stand up and speak out for ourselves when treated badly.

In a perfect world of perfect humans, we would never have to but we all are human too and it doesn't always

happen the nice easy way.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry you had such a time.

Many doctors here have gone under the hospital's umbrella here.

Our phone calls now go to a central hub and not the doctor's actual office unless it's a prescription renewal.

It's often a disadvantage when you can't speak to a nurse in the office.

Honored Contributor

I don't get as mean and nasty as I feel sometimes with them----but I do let whoever is being "dim" that I am annoyed. One occasion that I did, was after I broke my wrist--went to see the wrist dr for him to set up a surgery appt--had to get more  x-rays and the girls--and they were girls--in their 20's, handled my wrist like it was a frisbee--twisting and turning it for the xrays needed--and I yelled at them  and asked them if they had EVER had a broken bone and just TELL me how they wanted ME to position my hand and I will do that. Dear gawd in heaven----!!! But the next time I went in  and needed xrays---they kept their paws off me and asked me to put it in the position they wanted!!! Grrrrrrr!!!

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I have not, but once experienced something similar to you @Scooby Doo . 19 nights with no cpap and thought I would die. When my new machine arrived by FedEx on a Saturday morning, I slept for 12 hours.

@AuntG People who don't have this condition do not understand how difficult it can be to deal with.  That's reasonable I suppose because I don't understand their illnesses either.