Super Contributor

Re: Anyone on here live in WA?

Sandraskates, yes I agree!  My husband was born and raised here, bay area.  CA doesn't want to keep jobs or businesses.  We don't get it.  I guess the weather is usually a big enough draw.  Just crazy hot in the northern part of the state, we had 100's in October.  Can't stand it anymore. Our dogs are miserable stuck inside with the AC all day.  I hate to think of the dogs kept outdoors, cringe every time I would see a pet in a car!   Thank you!  Lots of feelings about relocating, scared, excited, hope we love it there.  

Trusted Contributor

We live in Northern CA, but our younger son and family live right in Seattle.

We fly up to Seattle or often drive with our dogs for visits four times a year.

Our take on Seattle:

1.) A beautiful city, very nautical and vibrant. 

2.)  Low unemployment due to several large companies headquartered there

or nearby: ie, Starbucks, Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft   to name a few.

3.) Beautiful, clean parks throughout neighborhoods. 

4.)  Lots of culture:  ballet, symphony, theater, museums

also a great baseball stadium right in town. (Mariners)

5.)  Puget Sound, waterways for boating and fishing

8.)  pop of about 600k  very multicultural, I love that.

9.)  fresh seafood

10.)  Many transplants due to the employment opportunites

11)  The Emerald City for a good reason:  rain.

12.)  Wonderful long days in Summer (we are often outside on our

son"s deck until almost 10 PM) great sunny weather then.

Short winter days. 

I must admit, we are pretty destination oriented en route to Seattle.  Our son and family love to visit Portland.  It is also an exciting city with a lot to offer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i'm originally from the east coast and we moved outside of bellevue in the 90's.  wa is a beautiful state.  the people are wonderful and there is a lot to do.  i loved it more than i can say, but i'm a sunshine girl and after 4 years i told my husband i wanted to move.  we are now in northern ca and i'm much happier.

let me say this though, it does rain here and get gloomy.  i'm a person who is very much affected by the weather.  i like sunshine all the time! 

wa has a lovely climate.  never too hot and never too cold and that is a good thing.

i think you'll be happy there.  it's beautiful, the people are nice and what else could you ask for? 

Honored Contributor

I think you will love it if you like to be outdoors and don't mind a little rain.We don't have a water shortage as a result of the rainfall and I think the air is cleaner than California.I love the crisp autum days and the chill of the short winter that precedes a fresh spring with an abundance of greenery and then there is our warm but not too warm summer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We like the Vancouver area but have never lived there.  I hope you're happy if you move there.  We lived in the far West Pacific northwest for 35 years then above Spokane for 13.

Super Contributor

Thank you guys!  I just gave notice to my job here and they have asked me if I could continue working remotely so hopefully that all works out.  CA pay in Washington, lol.  Now I'm even more excited!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladyjenn wrote:

We live in No CA and are relocating to the Vancouver WA area in January.  Just wanted to see if anyone lives in Washington and had any advice? What they love about it, what they don't?  I'm originally from NY and moved to So Cal for 17 years, then moved up north, got married, and now 8 years later, my husband wants to move.  We run a business and it will be much cheaper in Washington!  

@ladygirl

Well, I don't know about Vancouver, WA, being the "armpit" of Washington state, but can tell you that what it is is a suburb of Portland, OR.  Tens of thousands of people cross Interstate 5 or 205 every day from Vancouver to work in the greater Portland area.  I know folks who do this and they do it for financial reasons.

When we moved to Portland a little over 2 years ago, we took a drive over the 5 bridge to get a handle on Vancouver, as we were scoping out areas for possible house purchase in the future.  My DD sais there are basically good and then not so good areas of Vancouver.  Sounds like most American cities!  When we took the off-ramp from 5, went west, which took us eventually into a depressed part of the city: lots of low income housing, etc.  But there are decent areas in which to live.  Don't let the naysayers get you down.

(Wish those of us living in the Pacific Northwest could get together once a year.  What fun would that be!?!)

Trusted Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Right now I live in nw WA near the Canadian border/San Juan Islands.  But in the 1990s I lived in Portland, Oregon, which is right across the Columbia from Vancouver.   A lot of my friends and coworkers lived in Vancouver at that time as well.

I haven't been there for a few years, but I wouldn't say it's an "armpit."  In fact, I did some research on that area a few years ago for a friend who wanted to move to Portland.

There are a lot of nice housing developments in Vancouver.  I think you can find a nice house for a decent price.  I'm not 100% aware of what the crime statistics, etc are for Vancouver, but I wouldn't consider it to be a bad place to live.

In Vancouver, basically your "city" is going to be Portland, not Seattle.  Portland is a great city..lots of activities, culture, shopping, and a great town for FOODIES!   Lots of cool restaurants and cafes, food trucks.  Portland, imo, is much more manageable and friendly than Seattle, as big cities go.  But, maybe that's because I lived there for a long time and I'm more familiar with it.

One of the advantages in living in Vancouver is that you don't have state income tax in WA, and you can drive across the river and shop in Oregon where there is no sales tax. 

Plus, you are within a nice driving distance of the Oregon Coast, Mt. Hood, and all of the outdoor and scenic wonders of Oregon.

I'd say it would be a positive move.  Smiley Happy

Excellent post.  I have friends and relatives who lived in Portland and we visit often, and I think you described it well. 

One major drawback, however, is the cost of living is extremely high in the Portland/Vancouver area.  (Vancouver is pretty much considered a suburb of Portland even tho it's in another state.)  The housing prices and rent is outrageously high.  Check out Zillow dot com and you can get an idea of what you can get for your money.  But actually, I suppose it probably isn't much higher than what you pay in California.

Perhaps go online and read some issues of the local newspaper to help get a sense of the area.

Super Contributor

Yes we have looked at real estate and it's still less than CA, even though I agree it's not that cheap, not like moving to the Southeast or something.  There is also no income tax and we can shop in oregon that has no sales tax for bigger purchases.  It also has less restrictions and we need to live in a state that has better shipping and port fees for our business, CA has gone insane in every way.

Super Contributor

I live in PNW and it's called "The Couv", where all the meth heads live.  Seems like the big way of life is getting used stuff from Goodwill and yard sales, painting it and re-selling it on craigslist for $2.00 more.  You have to cross a bridge to get to Portland and if/when something happens (The Big One) you won't be able to get there.  But, all the emergency workers live in WA so you will be safer over there if the bridges fall down