Esteemed Contributor

Thinking of moving to WV.  We are seniors and live near the border in Maryland but I don't have enough first hand information that would be useful to make a choice. Thinking about the area around Charles Town or Martinsburg.  Want a one story home if possible.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu

When you consider a place to move, please check doctors, hospitals and the like. 

Respected Contributor

Check out the WV gov't website to see what services a resident senior can expect (Aging Services).  Even if you don't want them now, you might in the future.  It can vary by County, too.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu   I believe poster @RedTop  does live in WV.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu,

I have lived my entire life on the southern end of WV and absolutely love it here.   I cannot imagine anyone not loving this beautiful state.    

We vacationed in Charles Town many years ago and truly enjoyed our stay; loved the Harpers Ferry national park, and the outlying rural areas were so much like home.  My teacher daughter has traveled to the Shepherdstown area for educational purposes for several years, and from what she's said, the area has built up and is much busier these days.   

Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan counties had the first cases of Covid, which were attributed to the fact many WV residents commute to government jobs in VA.  One or two of those counties were hot spots for awhile, before the virus spread to other areas of the state.   WV has had 10,000 reported cases of coronavirus to date.    

The interstates in WV are traveled heavily by drug traffickers, and the cities closest to the interstate usually have serious drug activity. Martinsburg, Huntington, Charleston and Beckley all have that reputation.    

Wishing you luck in relocating to WV!   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

Lots of very informative and important info for the OP to consider!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Before making a decision, check to compare your tax liabilities in the two states.  Some states give seniors a break, others don't.  Also compare sales tax.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Thinking of moving to WV.  We are seniors and live near the border in Maryland but I don't have enough first hand information that would be useful to make a choice. Thinking about the area around Charles Town or Martinsburg.  Want a one story home if possible.  

I live in WV, northern panhandle, 25 miles from Pittsburgh, and right across the river from Steubenville ,Ohio.. I love it here, taxes are very low, and it's a beautiful state. I've never been to the area your talking about, but I know it's over by DC. It's the other panhandle. Why don't you take a trip, and travel around and see the area your interested living in. Get on Google and see the properties, that are listed around that area.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu   I cannot recall the website address but this website lets you know the costs difference between the area you currently are living in and the location you are moving to....with a little time, you could probably find it.

Helpful to know if the cost of living will be higher or lower before moving.

Esteemed Contributor

We live near the Eastern Panhandle which is over the border from Maryland.  We square dance iin WV, we have friends there who have iived there since birth.  They are hard to ask since they have never compared. 

We are thiinking seriously but it will be hard for us to relocate with all our STUFF. Hard to let go.  

Thanks everyone