Respected Contributor

@bonnielu   I live in North Central WV near Canaan Valley State Park. My siblings and I were talking about this yesterday. My one brother lived in Norfolk VA for over 30 years as he retired from the Navy. He was able to move back 2 years ago, and he talked about how much cheaper it is to live here. I have other siblings in other states, and our taxes are less than what they pay, especially personal property taxes. 

There are pros and cons anywhere. I love where I live and would not live anywhere else. I like the simplicity and quietness where I live. It’s a beautiful state! It’s home for me! 💙💛😊

Honored Contributor

We don't seem to hear much about West V.

Well, that's probably a good thing..........

Wishing everyone well.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone live in WV

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Thinking of moving to WV.  We are seniors and live near the border in Maryland but I don't have enough first hand information that would be useful to make a choice. Thinking about the area around Charles Town or Martinsburg.  Want a one story home if possible.  

Lived in Harpers Ferry many yrs ago. The area has chenged in some ways , but overall a nice area . Alot of people I worked with  loved Inwood area . Medical care over the state line   in Winchester, Va  area always had rave reviews . Local hospitals are now part of West Virginia Unniversity , so their standard of care  may have improved.  As far as schools in Jeffereson Co , they had  over crowding  a few yrs ago due to influx of so many  from Maryland . Not sure what the school situation is like now. I'd steer clear of that paper mill off Rt 340 as the  smoke stack dust blows   and you can smell the sour kraut smell for miles .  Also, as far as  community/ state services , you may want to check. I do know that they did not keep the roads as clear of snow  as they did in Maryland . I would not live in Charlestown  town limits as they have had alot of crime / drug activity .There is a nice  bagel & Italian bakery & deli  near the Walmart on Rt 340 near Charlestown that  have tasty  food .

Honored Contributor
You may also want to check state income tax. We have no state income tax in TX just like several other states.