Highlighted
QVC Customer Care

Re: Anyone here work in Human Resources?

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@RinaRina I don't work in HR but I have done some hiring.  You don't describe what the volunteeer work is, if it is related to your desired job.  These days, young people make no distinction between their vlunteer and paid work if it in in their desired field.  It's all listed under "experience."  If it is obviously volunteer you can list it as such.  But if it is in your target job area, and you have a supervisor who will speak well of you and yor work, feel free to just list it under experience.  Employers tend to focus on "fit in" more than anything these days, assuming you have the minimal qualifications.

Yes, it's in the "target area".  I was going to turn in my notice, so I could use the hours to work for money somewhere else.  But "somewhere else" is NOT my target area.

The bottomline is, I was about to "give up" .. hoping to get back into the target area and just go for the money elsewhere.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@RinaRina I don't work in HR but I have done some hiring.  You don't describe what the volunteeer work is, if it is related to your desired job.  These days, young people make no distinction between their vlunteer and paid work if it in in their desired field.  It's all listed under "experience."  If it is obviously volunteer you can list it as such.  But if it is in your target job area, and you have a supervisor who will speak well of you and yor work, feel free to just list it under experience.  Employers tend to focus on "fit in" more than anything these days, assuming you have the minimal qualifications.

Yes, it's in the "target area".  I was going to turn in my notice, so I could use the hours to work for money somewhere else.  But "somewhere else" is NOT my target area.

The bottomline is, I was about to "give up" .. hoping to get back into the target area and just go for the money elsewhere.

Hi @RinaRina I wonder if I was clear.  I am unclear about your response.  

What I wa trying to say is that if the job that you want is in the same field as the job you vounteer for, and you have a supervisor in your volunteer position that will recommend you, you do not necessarlly have to announce that the position is unpaid.  Of course you can if you think it's beneficial.  Your decision as to what is best.

I have seen a lot of resumes of students who do work for school credt and list it as a job.  If it is in the area I am looking to hire, I happily give them credit for that experience, and don't care that it was unpaid.  So I was just suggesting an option.  

Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

Volunteering is a positive thing so I see no harm including it.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't work in HR, but I worked close with that department. I knew who would get hired, and who was going to get fired. Yes, you should include it, because it shows you as a well rounded person. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

Yes, I have.

1- Yes.  Employers want to know that you are active in the community, that you are a person who stays busy and engaged.  Absolutely list volunteer experience.

2 - Unless, your volunteer work reveals religious, political, or other connection which you do not want to share, or which you feel might bias someone against you.

Good luck to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras