Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone here from the UK?

@Imaoldhippie  Our cottage in U.K. does have small front door leading into slightly higher ceiling rooms - not enormously high but men do not have to stoop except in one bedroom where the beams and ceiling is bit lower.  

I always heard that a small front door etc in old cottages was to keep heat in the home as generally there was only one fireplace and the front door - in our cottages - leads straight into what was then the main room of house with fireplace.  How accurate that is I do not know but it makes sense as there was no central heating,  I can only relate to cottages in the West Country where ours is located.

If police walked around my home it would be because I had called them or a neighbor seeing something suspicious and I was out.  Other than that get off my property lol.  

We have seen MidSomer Murders and to us it is a hoot.  As they have so many festivals, fairs, events etc., that most villages in U.K. could not afford and we always look for the horse rider going down the Main Street - very rarely happens as in country there are great riding trails no need to go near traffic.  I ride when I am home so keep away from main streets, cars, tourists, etc.

DH says people must think all we do is hold fairs, ride horses and kill each other.  Thinking about it not a bad way to live! Lol.

Anyway we do enjoy your show which is great fun and, of course, love, love Doc Martin as our cottages are in Cornwall where it is filmed.

Glad you like the t.v. show I watch it too when I can.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich ...............Thanks for all the information.  It makes sense about the doors.  How lucky you are to have a cottages there.

I checked out my Directv yesterday and I could not find a channel that carries Doc Martin.

Sounds so very "English" where your cottages are.  I get a kick out of MidSomer and their dry sense of humor and their quirky personnalities.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

These cottages look enchanting and desirable on House Hunters and PBS, but in actuality, they are musty and dark inside. The rooms are tiny and boxy and furniture must be to scale. Getting furniture Americans are used to into these rooms is a feat, and you can't even consider trying to get it to an upper floor. 

The gardens are lush and beautiful and the villages are charming. 

We watch these shows and laugh- just another sunny day in England. The producers must wait to pounce on these rare days to film.

Honored Contributor

@jazzed wrote:

These cottages look enchanting and desirable on House Hunters and PBS, but in actuality, they are musty and dark inside. The rooms are tiny and boxy and furniture must be to scale. Getting furniture Americans are used to into these rooms is a feat, and you can't even consider trying to get it to an upper floor. 

The gardens are lush and beautiful and the villages are  charming. 

We watch these shows and laugh- just another sunny day in England. The producers must wait to pounce on these rare days to film.

@jazzed   Everyone has their thing. I love English cottages and everything you described. I would live in one in a minute. Speaking of rare sunny days, for me it's better than living where there is mounds of snow or freezing weather for a good portion of the year. To each their own.

Frequent Contributor

I love summer days in the UK - like the best of spring in the US. Humidity is rare and you don't need window screens for mosquitos.

Do you subscribe to Britbox? I believe it's just $7.00 and a collaboration of BBC and ITV. Some really fun shows and serious drama. No one does great drama like the Brits.

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@jazzed wrote:

The gardens are lush and beautiful and the villages are  charming. 

@jazzed   Everyone has their thing. I love English cottages and everything you described. I would live in one in a minute. Speaking of rare sunny days, for me it's better than living where there is mounds of snow or freezing weather for a good portion of the year. To each their own.