Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here ever had to ask for an accommodation at your job?

[ Edited ]

I have no answers for you except I hope you get what's necessary.

You are a Teacher's Aide not a bus driver. Just because they cannot find bus drivers it is not right to Mandate that you drive a bus.

They could not make me do it because I could not drive I bus since I would freak out. 

Just because someone can drive a car does not mean they can drive a bus? What makes them think you can drive the bus?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

They are "assigning" her as a aide riding with kids on bus not driving it...

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz Re-read the post. She is not driving the bus.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Nightowlz 

They are "assigning" her as a aide riding with kids on bus not driving it...

@homedecor1 

Well they will probably be able to get away with that unless you have a disability where you cannot climb up the stairs to get in the bus.

Only other solution would be to quit the job which some people are doing today.

Esteemed Contributor

@wvumountiefan I have asked for an accommodation at work, and have reviewed and granted accommodations as a manager.  I suggest you go to the doctor or whoever helps you with the disability at issue NOW, with a written description of what it is they are asking you to do and get your health care provider on board that you can't perform this task.  Your employer will ask what is your limitation (disability) that warrants an accommodation -- looks like you are claiming a mobility impairment?  Not sure how ventilation is an issue here.  Speak about that with your health care provider.  Your employer does not have to grant the accommodation that you don't have to do this task, they will likely come up with ways that you can do it safely.  It won't be fun.  Your boss will be involved because he or she may be asked about your limitations, and how you can perform this task.  In my previous job, my employees could submit their requests to their supervisor or the accommodation unit (Large employer).  Either way, the supervisor signed off on it, though they do not necessarily have access to your medical information.  If I were you, I would not share the medical information with my supervisor, or discuss it or my request with them or anyone else unless it is an official part of the process.  I strongly recommend that yon't discuss your request with any co-workers.

Your employer can deny the accommodation if this is considered an essential part of the job, or if it would be too costly for them to grant you an accommodation.  (I am guessing this is a small school - or is it a public school system?  Are you in a union?)

Best of luck.  I would be happy to answer questions if you tag me.

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan Would you be required to go on and off the bus more than a few times a day?  Depending on your employer (some give in to most requests but some fight tooth and nail) you could be in for a tough fight and a lot of intrusive questions.  Keep in mind that if you are a teacher's aid for kindergarten and you can perform all the duties of that (with all the bending and movement with kindergarten students) with arthritis that could work against you and also  other less desirable duties could be assigned  that you might not like.  Hope you are unionized and can have the union's attorney handle it.  Good Luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@wvumountiefan I thought I would add that using the union on this may or may not be a good idea.  Depends on the people and what other issues they have.  Unions may sacrifice the interests of a union member for something else they want.  So I would proceed with caution.

Respected Contributor

@wvumountiefan   I believe it has to be what is considered a "reasonable" accomodation, and I believe the employer can determine what is reasonable.  

If you are not able to perform the required duties, and they would have to hire an additional person to fulfill that task, that may be considered "unreasonable". 

Good luck and be sure to keep all your documents.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan ,

My oldest daughter is a Special Ed teacher, with multiple aides in her classroom.   

It is my understanding the addition of bus aide duty was added to some of the classroom aide positions last year.   Two of my daughters aides agreed to the addition of bus aide duty to their job description, for the extra money.   

If you have been doing this classroom aide job for awhile, and NOW the county is expecting you to be a bus aide, my suggestion is to look into your contractual agreement with the county first.  

Unless the contract you signed specifically states bus duty, I don't think you can be mandated to do it, and technically you would be working outside contract specifications, which would be a nightmare for you if that bus is in an accident and you are injured.   

It sounds like there's more homework here than what you've looked at so far.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@wvumountiefan I thought I would add that using the union on this may or may not be a good idea.  Depends on the people and what other issues they have.  Unions may sacrifice the interests of a union member for something else they want.  So I would proceed with caution.

If OP is a member of a union, I would definitely think that using their resources would be a reasonable action if needed. After all, that's one of the reasons that one pays dues.

But I'd first deal with the school.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland