Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here ever had to ask for an accommodation at your job?

I would guess ventilation is an issue for OP because of covid? She stated she is on immunosuppressants. She is already at risk in the school and classroom. Seems they want to put her at more risk because they can't or won't hire bus monitors?

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan 

I asked my teacher daughter more about the process that affected her classroom aides several years ago.   

The County changed ALL classroom aide job descriptions to add bus duty responsibilities.   Every classroom aide had to reapply for these jobs, and sign new employment contracts after they were hired for whatever school they applied for.   

Since you specifically used the word mandated, it sounds like the county wants you to do bus duty responsibilities that may not actually be written into job description.   If you signed an employment contract that specifically includes bus duties, then you need to medically pursue an exception.  

If you signed an employment contract for classroom aide only, I do not think you can be "mandated" to do bus duty.  If that is the case, I would seek legal advice in addition to the medical exemption.

Best wishes to you!

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan 

I hope things work out for you. 🌈

I taught school for over 30 years. As a classroom teacher & an individual with chronic health issues, I needed different accommodations at various times. I always had letters from my doctors. At one point one of my doctors called and spoke to the principal to clarify my health. There were a couple of situations that came up, but I was always able to resolve them. 

Honored Contributor

The School probably has a specific form you need to use to bring to your doctor.  I will tell you that it takes an act of God to get that form back from the doctor.  Doctors hate doing them and they are doing a ton of them right now due to Covid.

Because what you describe involves a major life function, it should be approved with no issues.

Just make sure you get the right form, and it gets turned in by the deadline.  There's usually a deadlline associated with it just so that it doesn't drag on for all etermity.

And stay on your doctor's office to get that form completed.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@elated  I worked in a PreK classroom for many years and I did bid out to go to a Kindergarten room as its a slightly more structured routine than PreK. 

All is well as the entire situation has been resolved. Thank you friends for all your advice. 😊🙌🏼

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21   Yes, there is little to no ventilation on a school bus unless the windows are down, which will not be possible as the weather changes. I wear a mask all day as do the kids, but we can keep a little more distant in the classroom as I work at a small school. On the bus there would be at least 2 kids and even though we all still have masks on, its not as easy to keep a good space. My issue has been resolved by me giving up a certification to give meds. This will be an additional $30/mth off my pay before taxes, but its just not worth it to me. 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

I have ask for an accommodation at my job, related to a duty that they have mandated I do. I have  done my homework and have read all the "accommodation request" information on the EEOC and ADA website. I wont get into all the details but I am wondering if anyone here has done this. Any tips or other information you have would be greatly appreciated. You don't have to give details as I respect people's privacy. TIA

@wvumountiefanStart with your doctor. If you have a valid medical excuse it will not be a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

You need a letter from your doctor detailing why you cannot sit on the school bus with the kids.  Be prepared as the school may question how is it you're able to be in the classroom.  Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

As long as your rheumatologist is on board and will attest to the accommodation then you are fine. Thank the ADA act.

dee