Honored Contributor

Anyone get an IRS.gov email?

I received an IRS.gov email about a third economic impact tax return being available to pick up on Sunday, October 3. I think it is a scam.

Has anyone else gotten that?

It tells you to "submit your application," with a link to do so. Pretty sure we don't have to submit an application, since it wasn't required for past payments.

And then it had a file to download, which I did not do at home. But here at work I thought I would try that, since our Technology Department is on top of things and won't let just anything get thru. Sure enough, I could not open it at work, so it must be fraudulent.

The only thing is that it told me the amount I could expect, and it was very close to what I got in the past for stimulus payments. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone get an IRS.gov email?

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

I received an IRS.gov email about a third economic impact tax return being available to pick up on Sunday, October 3. I think it is a scam.

Has anyone else gotten that?

It tells you to "submit your application," with a link to do so. Pretty sure we don't have to submit an application, since it wasn't required for past payments.

And then it had a file to download, which I did not do at home. But here at work I thought I would try that, since our Technology Department is on top of things and won't let just anything get thru. Sure enough, I could not open it at work, so it must be fraudulent.

The only thing is that it told me the amount I could expect, and it was very close to what I got in the past for stimulus payments. 

The IRS will never email you.  If you ever have a question about something regarding the IRS, go to their site directly.  

I would contact your IT department and let them know you attempted to download that on your computer.  

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler - definitely think its a scam. IRS doesn't do emails and as far as submitting info, they already have it as we have already gotten payments from them before.

Honored Contributor

IRS does NOT use email asking for account specific information.   Further, every communication I have ever gotten from IRS, Medicare, SS that involved my accounts always had identifiers in the communication.

Do not feed the thieves by clicking.

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler Total complete scam.  The IRS will never email you, text you or call you- they will send you an official notification in the regular mail.  Even then, you need to call to verify and NOT the number on the the letter (since if that letter is a scam you're not going to get honest info).  Google a valid number and call.  Always always verify any person/company asking for any information.  It takes 10 minutes to google a number/information, but you could lose a lifetime of your money if you don't.  

Contributor

The IRS won't communicate with you by email.  They send their communications by regular first class mail and include phone numbers and reference numbers to use in any response required.

Honored Contributor

have been getting those spamy calls about you will be arrested unless you take this phone call for fraud activity on bank accounts. hate those spamy calls, I hang up ASAP, when i hear that deep throat recording.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler The IRS does NOT email people.

Let's see: You didn't want to take a chance by downloading a possibly infected file at home so you decided to do it at work?? Seriously???

Everyplace I worked had strict rules against this. Do you know how much trouble you could have caused with the computer if the file download HAD worked? Good grief.

Frequent Contributor

Don't reply, it's a scam. IRS communicates only by mail. And being the IRS they have your information.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@World Traveler The IRS does NOT email people.

Let's see: You didn't want to take a chance by downloading a possibly infected file at home so you decided to do it at work?? Seriously???

Everyplace I worked had strict rules against this. Do you know how much trouble you could have caused with the computer if the file download HAD worked? Good grief.

@Love my grandkids No need for you to worry. They have excellent filters in place. They have to because of the work we do. 

But thanks for your concern.