Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else play an intsrument?

For a very short time in high school, I was in an all-girl marching band.  Since they assigned instruments by height, I was given a tenor saxophone.

Couldn't read music, so I penciled in the notes.  All went well until the first night football game.  There was a place in one tune for a sax solo.  Since I couldn't see the penciled notes, it took me a while to get started.  It wasn't a pleasant experience.

I was relieved of my instrument.  

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

For a very short time in high school, I was in an all-girl marching band.  Since they assigned instruments by height, I was given a tenor saxophone.

Couldn't read music, so I penciled in the notes.  All went well until the first night football game.  We were in the middle of the field.  There was a place in one tune for a sax solo.  Since I couldn't see the penciled notes, it took me a while to get started.  It wasn't a pleasant experience.

I was relieved of my instrument.  

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I bought a nice guitar and took lessons with a group of other adults. Sold the guitar soon afterwards. Took private piano lessons a few years later. No musical talent there either. I would like my nine year old granddaughter to take lessons, preferably piano but whatever instrument she'd like. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve played guitar for almost 50 years. I took lessons for 2 years when I was 9 & 10 years old. I’m good enough at it to play publicly which I have done on a regular basis. 

I’m self taught on piano. I started teaching myself with piano books in my 20s on a friend’s piano in her home. I wanted to learn earlier, but my parents couldn’t afford a piano. I eventually saved up enough money to buy one. I have to work on a song for at least a week to get it sounding good. Never played in public. 

Respected Contributor

Ukulele.  Rather badly.  But it's a lot of fun!

Honored Contributor

@Internet_Egg 

Yes I do. Trumpet/Cornet/Flugelhorn/Piano/Accordion/Keyboard. Learning acoustic electric guitar and working on steel guitar.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor

I almost forgot about the ukulele! I have one sitting in the corner of my room that I haven't touched in a few years. I agree it's fun to play though, maybe it's time to pick it back up haha. 

Respected Contributor

Violin learned to play at school- still have my Mother’s instrument which I learned on her wish that I learn.

The ‘bones’ or spoons played with local jazz band in U.K.

Would like to learn to play ukulele - have just been given one so will check it out!

Occasional Contributor

I come from a musical family.  I play violin, dad played bango, grandpa played trumpet, brother played sax.  I wanted to learn piano but never did.  We would get together at grandma/grandpa place just around the corner from where i grew up and "jam" on the front porch.  I also played at church in the band.

Now I live in the mountains and I go out on my porch and play my violin, been playing for 60 years, started young.  Music and especially in these times is so soothing.   

Living in the beautiful mountains of Western NC.
Respected Contributor

I was forced to play Alto Sax as my Mother played it and still had hers. I hated the instrument  as did not have a choice on what instrument I liked or wanted to play.  It was heavy to lug on the bus and walk with. I never played again after going to college. We sold the Sax.

I loved band and marching band was fun playing at our HS football games. We had lights in our hats  and did a red white and blue star every game  while we played The National Anthem and the crowd would gasp with awe like at fireworks. Sometimes we did fun lighted characters that moved when we played all lit up. I liked Tenor Sax  more which I played in Swing Band at  Basketball games. Tuxedo Junction,  Chatanuga ,Choo Choo. Mexican Hat Dance etc.