Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else get a little down

@happycat  I've been sitting here (QVC on) at the computer with the light on.  It has 2 intensities but they both seem so bright.

I know I have cateracts and will have to have the removed.  I don't know if that's part of what bothers me with this bright light.

Unusual for me but I actually did read the directions.  Normally, with everything either I read s paragraph or nothing at all when it comes to directions!  It's not that I'm so good, I figure things out, it's just the opposite!  Ha!

I even have those yellow 'goggles' I bought specifically to help shield some of the light.  I have put it on the lowest light,  but good grief, ugh.  I know I now have to answer to you (kidding) so I'd better keep up with it.

The problem is you must use it early in the day because it can actually RESET your own body rhythm.  In other words...."Hey!  If I find myself up at 3:00AM because I can't sleep from this thing.....can I call you?"....Ha!

It says to only keep it going for about 1/2 hr to an hour once a day.  I'll be lucky to fit in a 1/2 hour.  Also you don't point it directly in front of you (makes sense).  You set it to the side in front of you.  It's called Verilux.  According to all of my research (over more than a year), most people think this one is good.  Hummm??? We will see.

It's sunny (for a change) here in Northern Va today.  But for most of the next few weeks, sunny days are few.  I don't leave the house on the weekends (every idiot is out there on the roads today).

Probably tomorrow when I have to go to the store (ran out of cream sickles) it will be dark and dreary....yet again.

My daughter in Denver said yesterday it was 60 degrees and (of course....sunny).  I didn't believe her when she moved there and said, "Colorado has 300 days of sunshine a year".  So I looked it up and found several comments where they also said Colorado gets pretty much...(you guessed it) 300 days of sunshine a year!  Whoa!  How about that?  This is the kid who says she likes dark days.

Take care and have a good day.  Now I'm trying to get used to regular light from the four light blubs in this TV room!  Ha!

Valued Contributor

No.  I love, seek out, cultivate the quiet.

Annoyed, though.  Been decluttering which continues, trying to simplify my life, and anyone who knows me knows that.  So clutter and things that create more work for me are what I received as gifts.  I actually told people not to give me anything at all.  

Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I do naturally.  I would think I'm somewhat light sensitive because it's always been this way.

On the 31st, we also lost our youngest son who was intuitive like I am.

I can feel my spirits go low at the end of the month.  It was just before he turned 20.

@ECBG

So sorry to hear about your loss.  We lost our 15-year-old son in February.  That's my low month of the year.

@fortune@ECBG.   And I lost my son in June at age 37.  It's the hardest loss of all, isn't it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Christmas holidays are a lot like cooking.  Shopping, handling the stuff multiple times, preparation, clean up afterwards and the actual event seems to last a very short time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, has anyone ever told you, you have an awesome sense of humor? I think you do! I bet I'm not the only one on these boards who appreciates it!

I read that bright lights can be very irritating to people with cataracts. I'm not an expert in anything, but I bet it could be a problem. Glad you aren't looking directly at it.

I had no idea these things could reset your body rythm. Thats pretty neat!

Glad you had a sunny day yesterday. Sounds like a good idea to stay in, lol. I know what you mean. Just a few crazy drivers on the road is enough to make me nuts. I had to look up to see what a creamsicle was....will have to try one of those.

I love Colorado. Have been out there a few times on vacation. So beautiful, I didn't realize they had so many sunny days either. Must be nice, huh? I bet your daughter loves it, even if she does like dark days. How could anyone not like Colorado?

I hope you are doing well and that the sun will shine on you more than what the weather people are saying.

Honored Contributor

No, I'm glad it's over, although I don't knock myself out over preparations for the holidays any more. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fortune wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I do naturally.  I would think I'm somewhat light sensitive because it's always been this way.

On the 31st, we also lost our youngest son who was intuitive like I am.

I can feel my spirits go low at the end of the month.  It was just before he turned 20.

@ECBG

So sorry to hear about your loss.  We lost our 15-year-old son in February.  That's my low month of the year.

@fortune@ECBG.   And I lost my son in June at age 37.  It's the hardest loss of all, isn't it?

@Kachina624

I am so sorry, Kachina, that you lost your beautiful son at the prime of his life!  You are so right that it's the hardest loss of all.  16x16_heart.png

Honored Contributor

@fortune.  It's a hard thing to accept and have to live with.  My sympathy to both you and @ECBG and all the other parents who've lost children.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Yes, I do get a bit depressed after the holidays.  It probably started in elementary school.  Back then we had Christmas concerts, programs, special art projects.  The stores didn't decorate or have Santa visit until after Thanksgiving.  There was so much activity and excitement!   Then we had a week or so off from school.  After the holidays it was a long, cold winter with not much to look forward to. 

Now, as I take the decorations down,  I wonder if I and my my famly members will all be around for next Christmas.   Definitely depressing!  I should schedule a nice trip so there's something fun to look forward to. 

Trusted Contributor

Some of my decorations are still up. I am slowly taking them down. The house looks so bare. I still have a tree up. My flocked tree. So pretty. I think the winter cold and barren nature of the landscape along with Christmas being over can contribute to SAD. Funny. Seasonal affective disorder spells sad. Ironic.