Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else get a little down

I just get the blues, in general, after Christmas.  I think the week between Christmas and New Year is the most depressing week of the year.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

I think it is a rather depressing time of year when the decorations are removed because the bright gold and red, the twinkling lights and the evergreen make it come alive and when that is removed, it is like all life has been taken out of us. 

One year after my mother died (she died in January), I was so depressed after I took my decor down, I called my sister  (a professional/degreed interior designer) and told her how bad I felt and was thinking about painting my public area red. 

I told her the color.  She said, "no, no, that is a red with a blue undertone, blue like the dreary skies of January, paint it with orange undertones." 

So, I painted it a Chinese red and loved it for years thereafter untiil I just got the notion one hot summer day to paint it taupe, which I did and keep repainting it taupe because I know that soon we will sell the house and houses with red interior do not sell as well as grayed-down taupe.

@Nonametoday

When I first read your post, I misread "public area!"  I was relieved when I reread it!!  lol.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Not me.  I am ready to get the new year started and I spend the morning working out at the Y.  How I start the year in my workouts seems to set the tone for the year and for my mind.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I do naturally.  I would think I'm somewhat light sensitive because it's always been this way.

On the 31st, we also lost our youngest son who was intuitive like I am.

I can feel my spirits go low at the end of the month.  It was just before he turned 20.

@ECBG

So sorry to hear about your loss.  We lost our 15-year-old son in February.  That's my low month of the year.

Honored Contributor

When I lived in Houston and my parents came for the holidays,  we'd take them to the airport and I'd cry all the way home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

In past years I would, but I came up with a solution that works for me now ....I have a collection of bright and cheery items that I bring out as soon as I take down my Christmas items, that make me love walking into the house just as much as when it’s all Christmasy.🥰

Honored Contributor

@fortune  Oh, that's funny.  I think omission of the "l" could be a problem.  Ha ha.

Valued Contributor

I'm glad the holidays are over. The whole week of Christmas and up through New Year's Day, I was even more down and depressed than ever. I just wanted that time to get past. My mother died in April and I still cry every day--I miss her so much. I didn't bother to put one decoration out or send a card. I just didn't care. Frankly, I don't think I ever will. I thought briefly about just putting out a navitity set, only because my parents had made it for me, but didn't. My dad had made the lighted manger, and my mom had painted and decorated a large nativity set in ceramics. I felt bad about not getting those out, but just couldn't bear to do so.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I do naturally.  I would think I'm somewhat light sensitive because it's always been this way.

On the 31st, we also lost our youngest son who was intuitive like I am.

I can feel my spirits go low at the end of the month.  It was just before he turned 20.

@ECBG... I am so sorry to hear you lost your son, ECBG!! ...and he was so young! Awww... That's just heartbreaking! Yes. I can see how it would be more difficult to bear this because of the dreary weather. Please take care and know I am thinking and praying for you. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

No not down from that.  What does get me down is the weather.  Dark, dreary days.  That's what gets me down.

I just purchased a light box to see if it helps lift my mood and energy level. 

I've thought about it for a few years now.  I've almost bought one all last year and didn't.  I've over-researched it.  But I finally bought it.  It sure is bright.

I know other's who swear by it.  My problem is I loose interest quickly.  Hopefully, I'll follow through on this thing.

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

No not down from that.  What does get me down is the weather.  Dark, dreary days.  That's what gets me down.

I just purchased a light box to see if it helps lift my mood and energy level. 

I've thought about it for a few years now.  I've almost bought one all last year and didn't.  I've over-researched it.  But I finally bought it.  It sure is bright.

I know other's who swear by it.  My problem is I loose interest quickly.  Hopefully, I'll follow through on this thing.

Please let us know how the light box works for you, @Annabellethecat66.