Respected Contributor

Anyone else get a little down

when all the family leaves after the holidays?  I remember being all stressed out before and while they were here--what to cook, etc.--but now it's just so quiet.  (sigh)

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else get a little down

I always feel a little let down when the holidays are over.  After all that planning, shopping and anticipation it's over so fast. 

Respected Contributor

I know what ya mean  - Too quiet.  And winter can be dreary. Spring seems like a long time away.

Respected Contributor

I always find it a bit depressing when I take down all the decorations.   Mine stay up until January 6th.   I know some like all that stuff put away and a clean house, etc.,  but it just looks all bare and dull to me. I've never cared much for new years either. Kind of depressing too!

Respected Contributor

I always have a hard time after the holidays. I don't love the new year either. This year has been particularly tough because my 92 year old mother has been in the hospital or rehab since December 2, 2018. Mostly in the hospital. She fell and hit the back of her head hard, then had a UTI that she could not shake. Several times during the last 3 weeks, we thought we were going to lose her. We had Christmas in the hospital but made the best of it. I basically missed all of the fuss about Christmas. I only baked brownies and we got a turkey cooked at the grocery store. It all worked out fine though and we had her to celebrate with. They were going to send her rehab today but are keeping her in the hospital again tonight. 

Honored Contributor

No not down from that.  What does get me down is the weather.  Dark, dreary days.  That's what gets me down.

I just purchased a light box to see if it helps lift my mood and energy level. 

I've thought about it for a few years now.  I've almost bought one all last year and didn't.  I've over-researched it.  But I finally bought it.  It sure is bright.

I know other's who swear by it.  My problem is I loose interest quickly.  Hopefully, I'll follow through on this thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is a rather depressing time of year when the decorations are removed because the bright gold and red, the twinkling lights and the evergreen make it come alive and when that is removed, it is like all life has been taken out of us. 

One year after my mother died (she died in January), I was so depressed after I took my decor down, I called my sister  (a professional/degreed interior designer) and told her how bad I felt and was thinking about painting my public area red. 

I told her the color.  She said, "no, no, that is a red with a blue undertone, blue like the dreary skies of January, paint it with orange undertones." 

So, I painted it a Chinese red and loved it for years thereafter untiil I just got the notion one hot summer day to paint it taupe, which I did and keep repainting it taupe because I know that soon we will sell the house and houses with red interior do not sell as well as grayed-down taupe.

Esteemed Contributor

No, not me. I was super busy before Christmas, like everyone else. This week I have nothing scheduled for evenings- hooray!. Now it's Me time. My trees and nativity will stay up through the weekend, at least. Everything else has been packed away. I am deep cleaning the house throughout the month, organizing and picking up the few items I need.

Too busy to be depressed even though I am no fan of winter. 

The long term monthly forecast calls for OK weather until around the 10th, after which the good ol' Polar Vortex returns to my area. Motivation for me to get errands out of the way early.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The transition from fall/harvest to Christmas and then to the sort of nothingness that follows seems to happen so abruptly that there is a bit of an anticlimactic feeling... Added to that, for me, New Years is a huge non-event  and the continued east coast rain and gloom isn't helping a bit... Even a nice gentle snowfall would be a welcome change...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I get down because it's winter and it's not daylight savings time.

Not enough sunshine.  It's been so rainy

My family is close, I see them all the time.

So that element of the holidays is not stressful for me.