Respected Contributor

Anyone Here Work For The RMV?

I filled out the forms for my DH to renew his License. It's is different know and they require Birth Certificate infor. So all the info was put in and at the end of all this it stated he has to go to the RMV anyway because it states " The online lawful presence authorization system has encountered an issue wihile veryifying your lawful status."

Anyone have anything like this happen to them? He was born and raised here so I don't get it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Here Work For The RMV?

I don’t work for the RMV (in our area it’s called the DMV) but I recently had to get my license renewed and I usually renew online too. But this year it said I had to go in and take either my birth certificate or passport. It was no big deal other than long lines. I guess in my state they require you to go in every so many years.  

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama ....the NEW drivers license needs more information than in the past. It is a TSA requirement if you want to travel.  In my state you do not need the enhanced license, if you never plan on traveling.

I would imagine you would have to do this renewal in person, but the next time he needs to renew he can probably do it on line.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Maryland and had to bring in birth certificate, social security card and two other forms of ID to get my driver's license earlier this year.  However, we were allowed to make appointments on line for the local DMV office.  Hence, I was in and out in way less than 30 minutes.  Those without appointments has to wait in a very, very, very long line.

Honored Contributor

A normal requirement these days and has been for several years.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Could this be bc those renewing licenses from now on are required to bring all the extra info bc of the Real ID licenses which many states require by 2020? 

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama 

For years when renewing a DL in New Jersey we have had to go in person and provide the following:

Your expiring license.
A completed renewal form.
Identification documents that comply with the 6 Points of ID Verification program.
Cash, check, money order or credit card (American Express, Visa, MasterCard) to pay the renewal fee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Starting in October 2020, certain government agencies, like the TSA, will begin requiring an updated license or iD card, called a "Real ID".

In order to obtain this license, called a Real ID, drivers will need to bring with them, in person, to the DMV:

• a valid driver's license
  • birth certificate or SS card
  • two proofs of residency

CA residents, like me, who received a Real ID license prior to March 2019, were required to bring only one proof of residency. In order to conform with Federal guidelines, we will be mailed a form which needs to be signed and returned - this will serve as the second proof of residency.

Click here for the Newsweek article if you are interested.

~ house cat ~
Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Starting in October 2020, certain government agencies, like the TSA, will begin requiring an updated license or iD card, called a "Real ID".

In order to obtain this license, called a Real ID, drivers will need to bring with them, in person, to the DMV:

• a valid driver's license
  • birth certificate or SS card
  • two proofs of residency

CA residents, like me, who received a Real ID license prior to March 2019, were required to bring only one proof of residency. In order to conform with Federal guidelines, we will be mailed a form which needs to be signed and returned - this will serve as the second proof of residency.

Click here for the Newsweek article if you are interested.

Thank u for the article @house_cat !