Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Alone on Thanksgiving?

@spent2much wrote:

@Black Cat Back It sounds like you had an OK day.  How was the pizza?  What veggies do you put on it?  And do you use red sauce... and cheese, also?

It's 6:45 pm here in CT.  It's good that we only have one official Thanksgiving day cuz I'm TIRED.  Turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans... takes a bit of work and a LOT of clean up!  The dishwasher's going and when this load is done, I think they'll be another load.  Bed will feel SO good tonight.

I'm glad you posted, TennisBuf, and shared your thoughts/feelings with us.  It gave us a chance to encourage you.  Isn't that one of the reasons we're all here?

**HUGS**

Edited to add:  The dishwasher?  I went back in the kitchen to see if it had finished.  LOL I hadn't even started it.  I had put the tablet in, ran the hot water in the faucet and must have gotten sidetracked.  So I just started it now.  From some of the posts I've read here, I think some of you can relate.

Woman Wink

@spent2much 

You do sound tired forgetting to put on the dishwasher.  LOL!   So glad you had a great and filling Thanksgiving.

Haven't had my pizza yet.  I just made the crust, it's as easy no yeast crust that gets crunchy, which I like.   I put mushrooms, red bell peppers, onions and black olives on my pizza.  I do use red sauce, they don't make the brand I loved that tasted so much like a real italian style pizza, but I use Rao's when on sale.   I add some chedder shredded, not a lot, and then some mozzarella that I cut in rounds and place on top so it melts on top.  I was told by a chef to slightly saute the mushrooms and peppers to get some of the moisture out so they cook better and won't make the crust moist.   I love the pizza, but hate the prep.  I have to cut enough for a salad too.

But, once done, it's glorious.   I don't eat much restaurant pizza anymore as it's so salty, and mine isn't.  It's even better the next day warmed up in the toaster oven. 

I'm going to go at it... hopefully all will come out well.

Thanks for your update.  I do miss turkey and all the trimmings, but it's too much for me to make on my own. 

Trusted Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@Black Cat Back 

I want to thank you for your beautiful post concerning being alone.

Your thoughts and words were so warm and sincere. Your heartfelt feelings and wishes reached into the hearts of others. All who read your post will thankful and grateful for such an individual as yourself for sharing this day with us; we will not be alone nor feel alone.

Blessings to you.

@chiclets 

Dear one... Your comments brought a tear to my eye, in a meaninful way.  Thank you so much.  Your sincere thoughts mean the world to me.  There is a saying I've always loved "Friends aren't someone you find, but someone you recognize."   That is so true here.  We don't know one another, but we feel a bond and come and share our thoughts and feelings openly to people we feel understand and can emphasize and even give us good advice when we need a reality check.

Thank you for being so kind to let me know that my post made a difference.  It definitely made a difference for me today. 

Bless you back!

Trusted Contributor

My pizza was yummy and I watched a (don't laugh) Hallmark movie about a firefighter and a cat.   I love cats.  The actor playing the firefighter was sweet to the eyes.

Cute movie... not sappy.

Thank you all for making my day special for me and I'm sure others.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my third Thanksgiving alone since my DH died. I have still not adjusted to being alone. I dread the holidays. I cooked a nice meal for myself and have tried to keep myself busy all day, but it's still hard.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back,

It sounds like you had a good day!

Your pizza sounds great and thank you for your sincere and yes encouraging posts!

I hope you have a good day after today too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer,

I know grief and loss has no timeline. It will always be there.

I try to think of the ones we love who are no longer here in a place though so different and not physical, but where I can still love them and feel their spirit everyday.

It is hard to imagine the loss of a husband that you have lived with for a long time together. Maybe you can feel his love even though you will not see him.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Hi and hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I had surgery in Baltimore Harbor area on Tuesday 23rd so am home recovering.  Wow that area is very peopley LOL. Am not used to all the city sounds as I live in a very rural area in the woods. I am still in alot of pain but will recover.

The turkey day was very quiet and I didnt feel like eating so I didnt LOL. Dont have family in the true sense either and like many can relate. Hugs to all xxxxxx Stormy

Contributor

Glad I was not alone in the non-traditional choice of food or the day. The flipside of being alone is we who are alone are not relegated to having the traditional Thanksgiving meal.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

This is my third Thanksgiving alone since my DH died. I have still not adjusted to being alone. I dread the holidays. I cooked a nice meal for myself and have tried to keep myself busy all day, but it's still hard.

@catwhisperer  yes, it's very hard. Two more holidays coming up.  Please let January 2nd hurry and get here. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Black Cat Back 

@Black Cat Back wrote:

I don't have any family any more and no one ever invites me to join them. It's a shame because I grew up in a house where my parents invited anyone they knew who was alone.  My Mom couldn't stand it when she knew someone was all alone on Thanksgiving.

People nowadays aren't as eager to open up their home or invite that person who is alone without a spouse.  I'm use to the "third wheel," syndrome.

However, for years after my family was gone, I'd serve at the Salvation Army dinners, but with Covid, that has changed where I live. 

I will get along, but I don't do anything reminicent of the holiday.  I plan to make my homemade pizza with a salad and watch football or some movies I checked out at the library.   I get emotional through the day watching neighbors with friends and family visiting them, but I will take a walk and just know the day will be over soon.

If anyone else is alone, I know how you feel.   But just know, you aren't alone.   Others understand.  I'll check in on this thread tomorrow, just to say hi and be there if someone needs company.

Blessings to all.   If you are blessed to have family and caring friends you can count on, truly be thankful, for they are a gift.

Boy, I could have written this.  Im 85 and I watched on TV people getting food baskets delivered to them. Have many grandkids and great grandkids and three children in their 6o's and left completly alone.  Two are not vaccinated so I could not go to their house for dinner, and was blamed for not doing so.

I would not have gone anyway, because the grandkids are so disresptful of the elderly.  We are treated like we are not human or have anything to said or contribute.

Not all families are like this, just those that parents did not raise properly.  My children were taught to respect their grandparents.  I was OK when I had money to spend on them.

All my friends are gone or have dementia.  I use to invite people or neighbors that had no one over for dinner during the holidays, always plenty of food.  I have fond memories of the big dinners and good times.  

I thank God that I am strong and independent.  It was still sad, but My little dog and I went for a walk, and had dinner with all the fixing that I made and I still decorate the house, to keep up my spirits.

At my age, I appreciate the little things everyday, but can't help but get sad about family that doesn't care. 

Well, today is another day, and except for Christmas coming, I can appreciate life each day.  I use to love the holidays, but now hate them.