Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody lie about their age?

@ALRATIBA  I read your posts and you are an active person.  No wonder you don't look your age, you don't have time to get old! 

I don't like when people say "for your age".  What does that even mean. Some people are old at 30 and some are young at 80. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

No.  No one I am around would be rude enough to ask!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am 65. I tell people who would  rudely ask how old I am, that I am 75. I get a lot of compliments 😄

@SeaMaiden 

I did something similar when I was in my mid 40s.  A friend who was recently divorced (and my husband was in the Orient at the time) wanted me to go out with her.  I had no interest in going out with her but she was a good friend who had helped me with a number of things when I needed it so I ageed to go out with her.  I was not interested in men hitting on me.

When men would offer to buy drinks, I would thank them and say that I was funding my own.  She, of course, was out looking for a date (or something) and would accept.  One of the men had the testosterone to ask me why I did not accept a drink to which I told him I was not and would not be obligated in any way for a man to buy me a drink.  He asked how old I was.  I told him that I know that I looked much younger but I was turning 70 the next week.  He did not offer to buy me another drink.  He went back to his little huddle of men, talking, whispering and pointing me out.  Nobody was interested after that.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am 65. I tell people who would  rudely ask how old I am, that I am 75. I get a lot of compliments 😄

@SeaMaiden 

I did something similar when I was in my mid 40s.  A friend who was recently divorced (and my husband was in the Orient at the time) wanted me to go out with her.  I had no interest in going out with her but she was a good friend who had helped me with a number of things when I needed it so I ageed to go out with her.  I was not interested in men hitting on me.

When men would offer to buy drinks, I would thank them and say that I was funding my own.  She, of course, was out looking for a date (or something) and would accept.  One of the men had the testosterone to ask me why I did not accept a drink to which I told him I was not and would not be obligated in any way for a man to buy me a drink.  He asked how old I was.  I told him that I know that I looked much younger but I was turning 70 the next week.  He did not offer to buy me another drink.  He went back to his little huddle of men, talking, whispering and pointing me out.  Nobody was interested after that.  

@Nonametoday  You must have been a young looking 70😄 Great story!

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Thank you, everybody, for the kind birthday wishes. I appreciate it. To those of you who don't understand why I would want to shave off 4 years, let me tell you that "age discrimination" is real. Many people, unfortunately, carry unjustified biases based on age. No matter how OK I might actually be with my age, I have no control over the biases of others. So, shaving off 4 years is just a tool that is helpful to me. It is not an old fashioned thing at all. If you are working in a corporate job, you know this already.

I completely understand what you're saying @Goldengate8361 .  I'm sure there are many that won't admit they've lied about their age.  When I turn 60, I may do the same thing and say I'm fifty-something.

Trusted Contributor

I'm 73 and no, I don't lie about my age. Wouldn't dream of it. I look a younger than I am and I get a huge kick out of the shock on people's faces when I tell them how old I am!😈

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Thank you, everybody, for the kind birthday wishes. I appreciate it. To those of you who don't understand why I would want to shave off 4 years, let me tell you that "age discrimination" is real. Many people, unfortunately, carry unjustified biases based on age. No matter how OK I might actually be with my age, I have no control over the biases of others. So, shaving off 4 years is just a tool that is helpful to me. It is not an old fashioned thing at all. If you are working in a corporate job, you know this already.

I completely understand what you're saying @Goldengate8361 .  I'm sure there are many that won't admit they've lied about their age.  When I turn 60, I may do the same thing and say I'm fifty-something.

@Goldengate8361   Don't worry. Shave off those four years. Everyone lies about their age so I hear.

Honored Contributor

I've accomplished a lot in my 72 years am proud of that. I keep myself in good physical and mental shape although  this last year was a struggle to keep positive. 

I'm still working and probably will continue until DH retires or I'm no longer capable of doing my best work. Then I have my art and jewelry to keep me busy. 

I see no reason for lying in one direction or the other. 

Respected Contributor

I've never lied about my age...I'm 66 and thrilled about it, because in two more months I will have reached full retirement age! Won't be completely retired for maybe another year, but I can start collecting (and banking) my SS benefits in May.

When I tell someone my age, they often say I don't look it...I just say thank you, because what else are they gonna say? I'm just fine with my looks at this age, and whatever age God allows me to live to.

Valued Contributor

It's funny how so many say when they tell their age, they are told, "You don't look it!"

What are people thinking certain ages are supposed to look like?  Is there a chart with pictures? Smiley LOL

Most women don't look the age their grandmothers did when they were that age.  Or even their mothers, in many cases.  

By the time kids today reach 70 they will probably look 30.