Valued Contributor

Re: Anybody lie about their age?

No one has asked my age recently, but I remember years ago I was at a busness function with my husband.  I looked a lot younger than my age and a woman at my table yelled across to me, asking how old I was.  I thought that was pretty rude, but I just answered, "old enough."  She laughed and said good answer.   

These days, I don't think I would lie, but I might.  People do tend to see you differently when they assume you are younger.   But then, that only works if you do look younger.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't randomly share my age. I mention current decade so you can think I'm 60 or 69. I like to stay active and do well with physical upkeep. My friends are all ages. I have this thing about age. People get opinionated. I was 16 my senior year in high school and people always had comments. Even in college. I was petite and looked young. Daughter mentions at age 30 that people in her career mistake her for 23 and respect level changes when they learn she's 30. She doesn't voluntarily share her age either.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Just to get in a movie theater many years ago.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Today, I turned 60 and I have decided to slice off 4 years and start saying I am 56. According to the "real age" test, I am 49. For any legal query, I will tell the truth according to my birth certificate (age 60). Socially, however, I have declared myself 56, which just feels more accurate. Anybody else do this?

No.  Why would you do that?

Esteemed Contributor

No, it has never occurred to me to lie about my age.  Frankly I thought that went out with my mother's generation.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, everybody, for the kind birthday wishes. I appreciate it. To those of you who don't understand why I would want to shave off 4 years, let me tell you that "age discrimination" is real. Many people, unfortunately, carry unjustified biases based on age. No matter how OK I might actually be with my age, I have no control over the biases of others. So, shaving off 4 years is just a tool that is helpful to me. It is not an old fashioned thing at all. If you are working in a corporate job, you know this already.

Honored Contributor

No, and I never will! I am 62 and it is a blessing to make it to another birthday! I am proud! 

Valued Contributor

I agree with Candlequeen...proud of my age, 77    Most of my friends are around my age, a few younger.   We love to travel,  no healthy problems and hope we stay that way.  We volunteer a lot, which I think keeps us young.  

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Its amazing how may women are told they look 10-15 yrs. younger.  Do you not realize that they aren't about to say "yes you look that age" or "I thought you were older"... don't believe them.

@Junebug54  I have seen this posted many many times on here for years. I've also seen posters go as far as saying 20 to 25 years! Everyone looks younger!

And no one ever has any wrinkles here.  Also when posters say that they were carded. Smiley LOL  (because it's the law and occasionally those stores enforce the ID check)

Have you also noticed how everybody's kid is practically a genius? "My son/daughter graduated at the TOP of their class! They were valedictorian! They graduated Maga *** Laude! They are at the TOP of their profession!!!" 

Eye roll.

Please!

Nobody ever says, "My kid was average in school. He/she is doing okay job wise."

Nope.

To hear tell it here, everybody's kid is the president of Mensa and a CEO of a Fourtune 500 company and is a multi-millionaire!

Like it's shameful to admit that your kid is a B or C student and doesn't have a job where they earn six figures.

Now, that's where the whopper lies are!😄

@Anonymous032819 

oh no.....you mean i cannot post here that my daughter is graduating and getting her law degree in may.....and probably WILL be magna ****** laude.....and i am being totally serious. lol

i have been waiting to do this! so proud of her.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I did "lie" one year reently but in the wrong direction.  In Dec. 2018 I turned 57 I almost immediately started thinking of myself as 58.  Then December of 2018 when filling out all kinds of insurance ect.. for the new year of 2019 I realized I was turning 58 and not 59.  I wanted a do over.  Now I am as of last Christmas Eve 2020, 59 years old.  At least it is not 60 but I do feel I missed out on being 57.  Watch ya bet I remember how old I turn on Christmas Eve 2021!!!!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."