Regular Contributor

Re: Anybody hate it when their routine is broken

Nope, we are a retired couple so no definite routines for us.  Had enough of that when we worked.  We do as we please when we please in most cases.  We still get our work done as needed but we don't get upset when if the laundry is done one day later. Since the pandemic hit and we have been staying home we have been baking and cooking together alot. Trying new things which has been so much fun.  Taking stock in our lives right now has become more important than rountines but that is what works for us.

Frequent Contributor

@depglass, I totally agree.
Super Contributor

I am also a homebody, wondering if I've crossed the line to agoraphobia.  My dogs and horses also have their routines and get very upset if they change.  I'm not afraid to "go out", I just find it very stressful.  I'm about to go to a new hair salon for cut & color and I'm very nervous about it.  There's no reason for anxiety, but it's there.  I like my routine and hanging out with my husband  and the critters.

Esteemed Contributor

After reading most of these posts, it makes me feel better that I am a homebody  I thought I was getting anti-social, but I am beginning to think it is just too exhausting to change the routine too much.

I can always find things to do around the house.  I do like to get groceries once a week and run errands now and then.  I do most of my shopping online.  I do like to read and do a little gardening, but get so tired from that.

When I have Dr or other appts, I find myself getting anxious and can't wait to be back home and know it's over with.  I don't know what it is.  Getting old and tired, I guess.

Honored Contributor

I am retired, I don't have a routine. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a routine kind of girl.  I'm much more organized when I stick to my routine.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , that is a lot of company.  I hope they pitch in and help.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I recently had guest for a week, and as much as I loved the time we spent together, went a lot of places and was on the go everyday from dawn to beyond dust.

Luckly I could take the dog with us, beause they had their dog who can't walk and in a baby carriage. We did a lot of outdoor

stuff.  I live in No. calif. so Bodega Bay, Russian River, a cute little town called on the coast in Marin county called Pt. Reyes. All the little one horse towns are now hip and for tourest.

We ate outdoors at Kobel winery, so dogs no problem. I would have freaked out if I had to leave my old dog home everyday.

We did leave them at home at night to go to dinner. 

They were nice enough to come to celebrate my 85th BD. I have family, but they are not there for me, so this was a nice surprise, because they traveled thousands of miles to visit.

My routine was broken, but it was nice.  

I am use to feeding dog when I get up and then like someone who reads the newspaper every morning, (do people still do this), I go on the computer and have coffee and search the web, and take care of business.

Well, one of the guest, my half sister, thought I was too routine and told me to break it up and do something different.

My routine, is feed dog, make coffee, get on computer, make bed, get dressed and take dog for walk, then do my exercise and whatever errands I have to run, some yard work.  I keep busy.  These people are much younger and I was kept hopping for a week.  As much fun and company I had, it was a slight relief to be alone again and back in my routine.

I really enjoyed them and will remember my 85th BD, but can't keep up that pace for a long time.  Good thing, I am strong and able to do everything.  There comment was, "you are not a typical 85 year old", which is true.

Back to my old routine. Tried to break it up, but it is comfortable for me.  

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition 

A belated Happy 85th Birthday to you!🎉  Glad you enjoyed it!

3860D5D5-AA2F-41B8-9BDB-7F010AA5CD5B.png

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I recently had guest for a week, and as much as I loved the time we spent together, went a lot of places and was on the go everyday from dawn to beyond dust.

Luckly I could take the dog with us, beause they had their dog who can't walk and in a baby carriage. We did a lot of outdoor

stuff.  I live in No. calif. so Bodega Bay, Russian River, a cute little town called on the coast in Marin county called Pt. Reyes. All the little one horse towns are now hip and for tourest.

We ate outdoors at Kobel winery, so dogs no problem. I would have freaked out if I had to leave my old dog home everyday.

We did leave them at home at night to go to dinner. 

They were nice enough to come to celebrate my 85th BD. I have family, but they are not there for me, so this was a nice surprise, because they traveled thousands of miles to visit.

My routine was broken, but it was nice.  

I am use to feeding dog when I get up and then like someone who reads the newspaper every morning, (do people still do this), I go on the computer and have coffee and search the web, and take care of business.

Well, one of the guest, my half sister, thought I was too routine and told me to break it up and do something different.

My routine, is feed dog, make coffee, get on computer, make bed, get dressed and take dog for walk, then do my exercise and whatever errands I have to run, some yard work.  I keep busy.  These people are much younger and I was kept hopping for a week.  As much fun and company I had, it was a slight relief to be alone again and back in my routine.

I really enjoyed them and will remember my 85th BD, but can't keep up that pace for a long time.  Good thing, I am strong and able to do everything.  There comment was, "you are not a typical 85 year old", which is true.

Back to my old routine. Tried to break it up, but it is comfortable for me.  

@qvcaddition, I've been doing that for probably over fifty years and hope against hope that the printed newspapers last until...

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland