Honored Contributor

Re: Any tricks to getting in a "happy place" when working with nasty people?

I focused only on my work and I let other people dwell on the b.s.   I never carea about what other people were doing of saying or gossiping about.  If issues impacted how I did MY work, I was comfortable bring the matter to my supervisor or manager.  

Respected Contributor

I brought a mega size of Philosophy's vanilla fig bath gel to the office and put it in our employee bathroom. At times when I was stressed, I'd go wash my hands. The fragrance remained, and I'd put a hand near my face & smell the vanilla fig. It was my aromatherapy. Really.

Valued Contributor

Make yourself a note that says don't take it personally as it is not about me. Learn to detach and set boundaries. I hate getting interrupted because I am a goal oriented person. I hate the games. A book called Life Code helped me learn the playbook of nefarious people and now I recognize it a mile away and generally don't get sucked in. Whatever skill I am working on, I have to write myself a note to read over and over until it's automatic thinking. I used to couldn't say no. Now I say to myself what is best for me and saying no feels like self love and happiness. Later I may have guilt for saying no but I can talk myself out of it. HA!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG ...Good for you, that's the sensible thing to do.  I am sure every work place has people who one wishes would disappear.  I guess I was fortunate at Warner Bros, there was only one person who was eccentric and a bit off the charts and I was her boss.  How lucky could I get?

What did I do, I ignored her as much as possible, let her do her job, and did not allow who she was to ruin my life.  Eventually she left.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam