Honored Contributor

Re: Any piano players out there????

Sadly, we got rid of our piano a couple of years ago. It needed quite a bit of work It was an upright grand. But my one regret is that I never learned the following piece

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bcAHKH_7qk

Honored Contributor

Here is another version - now you have my juices going. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bcAHKH_7qk

Respected Contributor

Hello @JasoninBoston

You mentioned on another thread that you play piano . . . just wondering . . . what do you enjoy?  

Respected Contributor

I have played all my life and took lessons from age four til I went to college. I love classical music, in general, but have a special feeling for baroque music, so I focus on that. There are easy and very complex baroque pieces so all skill levels can play. Just go with what YOU love, though. If you love it, you will enjoy working at it, which I do. If you are trying to play something that doesn't really speak to you, you won't be inspired to continue. After all, pleasure is the point! 

Trusted Contributor

My minor in college was piano performance.  I play all kinds of music but my favorite is classical.  My senior recital piece was

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1, B-flat minor, Op23.

I heard Van Cliburn play this when I was quite young and it's always been my favorite piece.

A few former students were voice majors and I accompanied them.  I've also given lessons to inner city (Philadelphia) children.  It was an exchange between our parish and an inner city parish.  A few did well and continued playing in college.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm less than mediocre, but when I do play my piano, it's likely to be show tunes.

I took piano lessons for over four years...every time I started in beginner's books! I'm excellent at "Three Blind Mice"!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Thank you SO MUCH for the suggestions !

Respected Contributor

I just watched  Yiruma on Youtube playing ''Kiss the Rain"....absolutely beautiful - and something I think I could master...  Thanks again, ever so much for sharing this information !

Honored Contributor

I'm a sort of decent piano player.  Believe it or not, soon I will pull out my Christmas carols to practice. During December I go to 2 nursing homes in the area and accompany the residents, staff, and friends in Christmas sing-a-longs. In the past I was able to distribute my many Christmas sweaters and  others friends donated to the ladies. No one can tell these ladies they are ugly Christmas sweaters.  They thoroughly enjoy them.  I also bring all my red and green nails polishes and we polish the nails of many of ladies.

For sheet music I like musicnotes.com as you can sample the music before you purchase the download.  Their library of music is vast.

Honored Contributor

After you started this topic. I realized how much I miss my piano. I still want to learn this piece.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3NxNRxH75E