Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wow! That has got to be the cutest baby miniature horse ever! Adorable. I don't think I could ever stop petting it.

My cows are mixed beef breeds. The bull that produced that calf was a black angus. The mom cow was blonde in color. She is offspring of a shorthorn/Hereford cross. I had 6 calves this year. 3 boys and 3 girls.

Honored Contributor

My father loved and knew every one of the 100 or so cows we had, but he never got attached to them.  They are bought and sold, taken to slaughter and eaten by us, and that's that.  

But he always saw that they lived really well, had excellent care, a great place to live with lots of water and shade and lots of food.  He would never be caught mistreating an animal.  But then again, they had to be bought, sold and slaughtered when the time came.  They weren't pets.  We didn't name them. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I would never be able to do that ,for one reason i would name each animal,and would not be able to have them killed.

@goldensrbest

My grandmother had a farm, I worked there every summer until I was in HS.  Yeah, you quickly learn not to name them.😪

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

My father was a farmer. He was the oldest of thirteen children. He was taken out of school when he was in the seventh grade. My grandfather said he needed him on the farm. That was the end of his education. He was up at three in the morning to take the produce to market with a horse and buggy. He left when he was 40. The one good thing was he went to Florida every winter. Married later in life. Was 43 when I was born. I have one brother. We always had a big garden. He built a little greenhouse. He was a farmer in every sense of the word. He passed when he was 95.

Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer, I didn't realize how that kind of bull was spelled.  Those are huge bulls!!!

I wonder what their personalities are like or if they just have two moods or temperments.??

Honored Contributor

We lived on a farm when I was very young - moved when I was 9. My father and mother both had jobs outside the farm so they had long hard days. We raised pigs, had a cow for milk and a pair of Appaloosa mares named Merry & Joy because they came to us at Christmas.The farm was a great place to grow up & I wish we could have stayed but the government bought out our property under eminent domain to build a missle silo, and my folks decided life would be much easier for them in the city.I think they were happier after we moved.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@moon_gazer, I didn't realize how that kind of bull was spelled.  Those are huge bulls!!!

I wonder what their personalities are like or if they just have two moods or temperments.??

@qualitygal  Bulls are like people.  We had a lot of Hereford bulls over the years and each had a personality.  One was as sweet as he could be unless he got a chance to fight another bull then it was all out mean machine.  Otherwise he was a really big bull and was gentle as a lamb.  Never saw him upset around people.  

My dad would never have a mean bull, just wouldn't put up with it.  He would go buy one with a seemingly nice disposition when it was young.  If it turned out to be mean tempered, off it went!  I've seen him pick out one, and it was temperamental when they went to load it and he'd pick out another one. 

They are beautiful animals if you look up pictures of them, and you can see how huge those bulls can be.  He never had cattle with horns either. 

Honored Contributor

@moon_gazer wrote:

I live on a ranch, not a farm. We raise Brahman bulls.  Lots of work out in the 105 degree heat we are having right now. Hay cutting and bailing keeps up busy, too. 

IMG_1569.JPG

@moon_gazer Now that looks exactly like and has temps exactly like Oklahoma near where I live!  LOL!!!  Could be OKIE bulls there!  

Honored Contributor

Every animal raised on my grandparents farm was considered food.   We didn’t think an animal was cute, didn’t cuddle it, or give it a name.  

We fed them, wormed them, treated them against pests, and kept them as healthy as possible until the day we slaughtered them.  The only farm animal I ever held was a pig, and it was being castrated at the time.   

Valued Contributor

I love animals too, especially bunnies. I know that I can't take on anything huge, but I opened my home to several rescue bunnies and have fostered as well.  It' a great way to help out and enjoy them.  I suggest contacting The House Rabbit Society in your area and try to foster a bunny or two to see if you like it.  No committment, they pay for everything, and you help socialize a needy bunny until it finds a forever home.  It's very rewarding and fun.  I have had a few disabled bunnies that I have loved dearly and caring for them was time consuming but worth it.    If you're not ready to foster, you can attend their adoption events as a volunteer and you can spend time with the bunnies that way and they would appreciate the help.