Honored Contributor
After following a number of animal sanctuaries for some time, I can no longer support butchering and eating animals for food. It’s horrific suffering for most of these poor animals and they deserve better. I still eat fish but that’s it.
Respected Contributor

Texas girl here, raised around farming & ranching all my life. I'm still amazed at people who think our groceries are grown on store shelves. Weather has no mercy on farming! It's a job 365 days a yr.

Respected Contributor

I don’t live on a farm but I spend enough time at one to know it’s hard work.   The animals at my friend’s farm are treated very well, receive vet visits, eat great food, are wormed regularly and the livestock are allowed free range within large pastures.  When the time comes, they are sold or butchered.  But from birth to that end they have wonderful lives and live as close to nature as is possible.

It’s a working farm and that’s how they make their living. 

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I just saw the cutest little black lamb.  I adore bunnies too. That's why I asked the question.  I just bet working on a farm, or at a zoo, or somewhere on that line and working with baby animals would be so wonderful! 

Zoo, yes. Farm? I think it's not what you imagine, but depends on the type of farm.

My uncle wanted a farm, so he moved my aunt and cousins out to a big rural home where they could raise some animals. My cousins were in 4H and raised a couple pigs, a few goats, and one cow for a brief time. All four of those cousins are vegetarians now because the babies they raised were auctioned at the county fair and slaughtered because they were food.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  adorable !

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy  so sweet !

Honored Contributor

We don't actually farm but have a huge garden, fruit orchard etc. and work those. 

WE come from farm people and live amongst farms and I will say, it is still a great way to raise children. 

They learn a work ethic, how to budget time (they have chores before and after school) lots of good old fashioned skills like canning, raising animals for sale at the fair, etc. and most of the farm kids around us still go to college after high school as well. They really get to live a life that fewer and fewer people are experiencing.

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

20180606_103416_resized.jpg

@qualitygal here's a newborn. Freshly dropped just moments before this pic was taken.

This is something to see. Our neighbors have a lot of cattle,and we have often been witness to birthing right out in the field. It is something to behold.