Respected Contributor

Re: Any adjustable bed users here?

I've had my new bed just over a month now and I love it!!!! As far as sheets go........I got a Kohl's 30% off coupon the last time and got Vera Wang 600 tc. They are wonderful and do not slip off the bed. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I have had my adjustable Stern n Foster about 4 years now. Endless adjustments, head and foot BUT  mine also has a massage function which has saved me from many a painful night. I have osteoarthritis and fortunately only needed to have a hip replaced back in 2007. 

I did buy a second icomfort for the guest room but it only adjusts the head, no massage features. But a good mattress . 

I will NEVER be without my massage feature.

Respected Contributor

I bought an adjustable bed 2 months ago.  I love it.  I have lower back issues, so I have a position that's called zero gravity.  It lifts the head and legs so there's no pressure on my lower back.  Laying out flat doesn't work for me anymore.  You can adjust it to just about any position.  Mine doesn't vibrate but I don't need that.  This bed helps people who snore or have sleep apnea if you raise the head up a bit.

I also bought a new mattress and now I look forward to getting in bed.

Honored Contributor

We like ours and use it all the time.  I think this is a very good investment, especially as we age.  Should we need it, we'll never need to mess with a hospital bed.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut   My father had to use his recliner for sleeping also, due to back issues.  But you're right, for other issues like leg elevation, it is good, and for some who need to be upright for aid in breathing, sinus, etc., this might be just the thing that would help them. 

Respected Contributor

My back has hurt since I got mine.  I just cannot get it in the right position.  Maybe it is the mattress not the adjustable bed.  You cannot use a dust ruffle with it.  I cannot seem to find a spread wide enough so now I have a big space between the floor and the spread.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@hckynut 

"Discovered by happenstance that my back felt great when I fell asleep in my recliner. Decided to try full nights sleeping in it, and decades and many recliners later?  I had a 2nd back surgery and the recliner is still my choice."

My baby brother has a bad back.  He refuses to have surgery.  He also sleeps on/in a recliner.  Has done so for over 20 yrs.  He loves it!!!!  Claims his back feels so better plus he gets a good night sleep in his recliner. 

About 5 yrs ago he purchased a 2nd recliner that has a back massager.  That one he keeps in the living room.

My 93 year old aunt started sleeping in a recliner chair after being hospitalized for congestive heart failure. Her doctor stressed the importance of elevating her legs to reduce swelling, but she also has chronic back pain that’s extremely painful when she lays down. She had been sleeping in a wing chair in her living room, but kept forgetting to elevate her legs. The solution was a recliner that allows her to raise her legs parallel to the floor while sitting up (the others couldn’t maintain an upright position while elevating her legs). It also has an “ejector seat” mechanism that gently raises her to a standing position. This was very helpful when she was still getting her strength back. It cost about $1600 and was worth every penny. 

Respected Contributor

Almost a year ago, we purchased the sleep comfort bed with the adjustable frame in the king size.

We shopped at the sleep number store which offers the "try it out" time.  However, they told us that if we didn't like the bed, we could return it, but not the adjustable frame.  That makes no sense to me because that's money wasted.  Plus they make you pay a fee of $200 for them to set it up on top of the price.

We decided to shop here on QVC and found a bed very similar to the one we looked at in the store for $1500 less money.  And in the description it said that the adjustable frame could also be returned.  Now I know that would be an expense, but still, you wouldn't be out all of that money. 

We were able to get ours on 6 EZ pays which did help the pocketbook.  And the cost to ship was only $55 back then.  It arrived within a week.  It took DH about 2 hours to get it set up and we both love it.  Ours adjusts both top (head) and bottom (feet).  It's basically 2 twin beds side by side.  We each have our own remotes too.

We both love the bed and not sorry we purchased it. 

Respected Contributor

AmyRose, I also have had back issues since I was 14 years old, and had a terrible time finding a comfortable mattress.  From the time when the conventional wisdom was to put a sheet of plywood between your box springs and your mattress!  I have slept on all kinds of mattresses, including a waterbed and the first generation of Sleep Number beds, and nothing helped much.  After I blew out some disks, I had to resort to sleeping in my recliner for almost a decade.  Ten years ago, I bought a Tempur-pedic mattress with an adjustable frame, and for the first time in almost five decades, I finally have a comfortable bed!  I found the perfect setting for it, and haven't changed it since, and I don't even have trouble getting the sheets to stay on it, no matter the material.  My adjustable frame came from the Tempur-pedic store, and I can easily vacuum under it, just have to go around the legs of the frame.  What it boils down to is that they will pry my adjustable bed out of my cold dead hands, so to speak, I will never be without one ever again!

My suggestion would be to make sure you purchase a bed and frame from a store that will accept returns after a three month trial, and then experiment with the adjustment until you find the "perfect" setting.  I have both the head and the knee area lifted slightly on my bed, some may be more comfortable with only the head adjusted up, others with only the foot of the bed lifted, some may like folding the bed into almost a recliner shape, but that's the benefit of an adjustable frame, you can set each end how you like it.  Good luck, I hope you find a wonderful bed that gives you years of perfect nights of sleep and rest!

Esteemed Contributor

@DottieBlue , I have had an adjustable bed for about a year now.  I think it is sleep science.  I bought it from Costco and would only buy from them because of their great return policy.  The bed has a twenty year warranty.  I have queen size.  Both the foot and the head raise and there is a massage feature which I have never used.  I love it.  It came with white glove delivery.

White glove delivery service means they will set the bed up for you and remove the packaging and take it with them when they go. Nit does not mean they will dismantle your old bed or dispose of it.

The bed came with adjustable legs and the delivery people will let you choose the right height.  I was happy to discover the highest setting was perfect for me.  Easy to get my feet on the floor.  The mattress is held in Place with steel bars along the side and the across the bottom.

I have never had an issue getting my sheets on this bed.  I did not buy special sheets for it.  I raise the head and the foot, put on the fitted sheet easily and press the flat button and done.

The bed was expensive but since a good night’s sleep is so important, that’s ok with me.  Wouldn’t consider anything else now.  Good luck!  LM