Trusted Contributor

Any Suggestions - Gifts for 90th Birthday

My father-in-law will be 90 years old in May.  We will (myself and husband) take him and step-mother-in law out for a nice dinner.  What to buy for a gift???

One gift I purchased last year was a book that was about 1932 (the year he was born).  Another year I purchased a large lantern from QVC with a remote that they put on the patio and enjoyed.  Another year I purchased the Halo battery recharger and they have used it a few times when they return from their winter home to their summer home and the car battery is dead when they return.

I have no ideas for this year - and it's such a special birthday - 90th.  I don't want to do gift cards - been there/done that.

Any suggestions please??

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Suggestions - Gifts for 90th Birthday

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop  My in-laws are 95 and 91, and they really don't need any more things for their apartment. They just love it when the family visits, so you taking them out to dinner will be very much appreciated. The one thing I can think of is a digital photo frame. If they don't have one, and their eyes are relatively good, they can look at any family photos you have loaded. Other things would be a new bird feeder or a weather station.

Honored Contributor

When our Mom turned 90 the kids got her a case of wine w/a Happy 90th birthday,Grandma on the label. When she passed we found the the wine bottles hidden in the back of her closet. She didn't want anyone to know she was 90.

This was 8 years later and the wine was ruined.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like you have had great ideas in the past.  My MIL will be 90 also this year.  We normally would take her out to dinner and to a play but this isn't so much a possibility anymore.   She doesn't get around well now, so we may just bring her a to go dinner.   Depending on his health maybe a play or a nice  bottle of whisky??   My Grandpa drank whisky until his last day on earth, but so much depends on how he is at this age.   Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

There is a great lesson in this thread.  If you are the recipient of a gift you postively don't care for, don't leave it hanging around for your heirs to find.  I remember my mother's stuff, there was a turquoise sweatshirt I had given her, never worn.  Obviously she didn't like sweatshirts, the color was OK.  Also found an unworn screaming chartreuse cable knit sweater from my sister.  I wouldn't have worn that one either.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal I had to laugh. You are assuming they drink! I don't and all my friends know it and yet one year a person who knew me well gave me a bottle of wine. I handed it back and said "you know I don't drink". She said "I just thought you might change your mind."  The friendship kinda went downhill after that.

PS: She drank quite a bit!

Trusted Contributor

At my mom's 100th birthday party she got a lot of food baskets.

Respected Contributor

Champagne brunch🍸🍷🧀

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop They make MP3 music players for seniors.  They have large buttons and can be loaded with their favorite music..  Google MP3 players for seniors.  They have ones that will play audio books as well.  They are simple and easy to use.  

Honored Contributor

Last year for my mother's 97th birthday, we got her balloons shaped as the number 97, bottle of her favorite wine & a box of chocolates.  She's a chocolate addict. Took her to her favorite restaurant.

The above is all she wants.  We have been doing the above since she turned 90.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif