Respected Contributor

Re: Any Lawyers or Paralegals Here?

I am sorry life has left you without your friends. Banks have trust officers who can oversee estates. I personally would visit a local bank that has strong ties to your community. Since everything is computerized there ought to be a system in place, so they are notified in the event of your passing. This lets you decide your beneficiary whether it is a favorite charity, an educational institution, or any number of options.

Respected Contributor

Bank trust departments often have very high estate value requirements to agree to oversee it.

Trusted Contributor

This is a really good question to post. I am very sorry about your friend. It does make us all stop and make sure we have papers in place though.

I keep saying I need to update and then never get around to it. I need to have a 3rd party executor (I think they are called fiduciary's?) because I would not want any wars breaking out with my kids who are not all close to each other.

Life is weird at this age (4th quarter I call it). The world of friends and relatives gets smaller and smaller and it is sometimes a lonely feeling.

Again, my condolences Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

You can name your favorite charity, like PBS or the ASPCA. @RinaRina 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember some years back a very, very popular estates attorney who encouraged using a lawyer as executor got caught stealing her deceased clients' assets.

You know the type: appears on talk shows as expert, makes frequent presentations to senior groups, etc. Everybody loved her.

The number of estates she cleaned out was huge. She might have been a great partner for Alex Murtaugh.

Honored Contributor

I go to a lot of estate auctions.  Around here the estate value that the banks require is not that high.  Check it out, anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

You can hire a professional fiduciary.  There are services that do this for a fee.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina  Contact the lawyer who drew up your will.  You can always appoint your bank