Respected Contributor

Any Lawyers or Paralegals Here?

My last friend died two weeks ago. 
We grew up together and I'd known her for almost 70 years.

She was the executor of my will.

Now, what do I do if I have no other relatives?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Any Lawyers or Paralegals Here?

@RinaRina @@Im not a lawyer ot paralegal.  Since you have to change your will now anyway, perhaps the best advice should come from your lawyer. 

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I have a friend like that going on almost 48 years, since we were 9. 

You probably have a million feelings going on right now. Be good to yourself. ❤

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss.  You can have a clergy person or an attorney as the executor of your will.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sorry for your loss.  You can have a clergy person or an attorney as the executor of your will.  

In the last few years, I've dealt with several lawyers, all of whom I found to be "crooked".

I was hoping I could keep them out of the loop.

Also, if I died, how would they know?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Double check your will - it might name someone in the event that your friend cannot serve as executor. Sort of like a contingent beneficiary.  If not you'll need a new will or amended will.

You can go to your local Area Agency on Aging - one of their attornies can take care of it.  And their services are free.

It's honestly best to  have an attorney do it.

Sorry for your loss.

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina First off, I am not a lawyer by any means. However, my daughter and SIL both are and they actually work in this field. My daughter is an attorney that sets up Trusts and my son in law, also an attorney, is a fiduciary. 

In almost all trusts, there are at least one and usually more, names listed as executor should your first choice not be able whether due to death or inability. If you did not list a second person you must update your trust. I would strongly suggest having a 2nd and 3rd choice listed. You just never know what could happen. However, before doing so, you should sit down and have a discussion with the persons of your choice and be sure they are willing to do so. 

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@RinaRina 

You probably have a million feelings going on right now. Be good to yourself. ❤

=========================

Yes, I feel nauseous most days.  

It's taken me a while to realize ... I'm actually in shock.

That was 2 in a row.

While attending this friend's funeral, I found out another friend died last summer.

I was told both he and his mother died over the summer a month apart.

When I went home, I checked online but could not find their obituaries.

I'd seen the 2nd friend last Spring when I was walking my dog.

He was in his car and said he would "stop by" (my house), but he never did.

All I could figure out was that he must've died a few months later.

Apparently, he died suddenly, then his mom followed.

She was 100 yrs. old.

I just feel weird.

Respected Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

@RinaRina 

In almost all trusts, there are at least one and usually more, names listed as executor should your first choice not be able whether due to death or inability. If you did not list a second person you must update your trust. I would strongly suggest having a 2nd and 3rd choice listed. You just never know what could happen. However, before doing so, you should sit down and have a discussion with the persons of your choice and be sure they are willing to do so. 

=========================

Thanks. 
Will do.

Honored Contributor

Some people do not have any more fiends, family, or others they can name.  You can't just pick a name out of the phone book.

So yes you can have a will or trust with no one specified then it goes into the state legal system.