Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Good Dental Insurance Plans?

My dentist gives me a 15% discount on all procedures when I pay by check (or cash) the same day. I've been doing that since I stopped working. It's has worked well for cleanings and some major dental work (i.e. crowns and an extraction) over the years. Those expenses are tax deductible.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Winkk   Most plans have two options, one where you go to their providers for the highest benefit but not necessarily the best dentists.  With the other plan, you can pick your own dentist.  So many people retire and move to other areas, they pretty much have to do this.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a dental plan that allows you to see your own dentist.  That's what I do.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Good topic.  I'm retired now with not dental plan and am going to see a new dentist on Thursday.  I have always had a lot of recession.  This visit will just be a consultation with the dentist and xrays to see what type of work I need.  A bit over $300 for the first visit. 

Honored Contributor

It’s not “insurance” but a saving / discount plan: Dental Save. My dentist’s staff recommended it. Annual fee And reduced prices for service.

I figure I save a lot more than the cost of the annual fee - I see dentist twice a year.
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

Hi @henderson, we're thinking of getting the Medicare Traditional Plan rather than the Medicare Advantage Plan.   I do not believe dental is covered under the Traditional Plan.

We have traditional Medicare, because in our area, the advantage plan is not very good. Once you get sick, there's no advantage to it. The dental does not come with the original Medicare plan. It's extra, and many dentists just don't take it. What we do is buy the plan from our dentist which includes two cleanings, exams, x-rays, and an emergency visit for one set price.

@Effie54 

That's what I do too.  Mine also includes a discount for any work done above and beyond that, and an additional discount if you pay in full at the time the work is completed instead of installments.

I priced it out and for what I would have to pay for private dental insurance and what it would cover vs. what my dentist offers, it came out about the same.  I chose to go with my dentist's plan.

Yes, same here. Our dentist's office plan also gives a discount on work done, which is helpful. The dental plan Medicare tries to sell is not that good and many offices don't accept it. 

Respected Contributor

We are in Colorado and our Delta Dental is included in our Kaiser health senior advantage program.  It's great.  I will have to pay around $500 to remove and replace a crown including the build up.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop 

you can google them and see rates.  Also try VSP

Honored Contributor

Met Life Dental, had it since my DH retired, it has been great. 

Contributor

My husband is retired and has 'bad' teeth.  He uses a Fixed Price plan. It used to be called Assurant, but now it's Sun Life through Sun Life Financial (they bought Assurant apparently).  He only pays what the fixed price is for any work he has done.  In our area, there are many dentists who accept this, so he didn't need a dental plan through his Medicare plan.  He pays $104 per year. Since he is always having pricey work done, it has really helped us figure out exactly what we need to pay for him.

I use MetLife and it's $35 a month. I had this through a former employer and just kept it after I retired from that company.  The only bad thing about this was - had I just purchased it on my own WITHOUT having had it previously for 12 months from my past employer - I would have had to wait an entire year before having any major work done like a crown (which I did need right after I left that job).  Watch the fine print on MetLife dental before you get it if having a waiting period for certain procedures is a concern.

I kept the MetLife because it took me decades to find a dentist I like and am comfortable with and they didn't accept that fixed price plan - otherwise I'd have it too.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

Plans seemed to be priced based on where you are located.   I know Met Life offers a PPO plan with 3 levels of care.  When it comes to major work, I think they are at 50% but there are restrictions on things.  I think you have to read all the fine print on coverage and calendar maximums.