Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Good Dental Insurance Plans?

@SeaMaiden, thank you very much for the details about Delta Dental.  It gives me an idea of what the cost would be for both myself and my husband.  I'll have to go to their website and check it out.  It use to be I had the good teeth and my husband not so great, but I've recently been the "bad" one with cavities and needing crowns.  Ugh!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG , thank you for the AARP suggestion.  I'll do a little "investigating" on their web-site.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@ECBG , thank you for the AARP suggestion.  I'll do a little "investigating" on their web-site.  Thank you!

@BunSnoop 

I taught a senior class on Lifeskills which went into life planning.  Insurance was one thing I covered quite deeply.

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Hi @henderson, we're thinking of getting the Medicare Traditional Plan rather than the Medicare Advantage Plan.   I do not believe dental is covered under the Traditional Plan.

We have traditional Medicare, because in our area, the advantage plan is not very good. Once you get sick, there's no advantage to it. The dental does not come with the original Medicare plan. It's extra, and many dentists just don't take it. What we do is buy the plan from our dentist which includes two cleanings, exams, x-rays, and an emergency visit for one set price.

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

Hi @henderson, we're thinking of getting the Medicare Traditional Plan rather than the Medicare Advantage Plan.   I do not believe dental is covered under the Traditional Plan.

We have traditional Medicare, because in our area, the advantage plan is not very good. Once you get sick, there's no advantage to it. The dental does not come with the original Medicare plan. It's extra, and many dentists just don't take it. What we do is buy the plan from our dentist which includes two cleanings, exams, x-rays, and an emergency visit for one set price.

@Effie54 

That's what I do too.  Mine also includes a discount for any work done above and beyond that, and an additional discount if you pay in full at the time the work is completed instead of installments.

I priced it out and for what I would have to pay for private dental insurance and what it would cover vs. what my dentist offers, it came out about the same.  I chose to go with my dentist's plan.

Honored Contributor

I had Humana for a couple of years, $23/year at that time.  I probably broke out even on the premiums and cost of care since my dentist gives discounts for seniors.

Switched to a Medicare Advantage plan with United Healtcare.  I pay $38/month and that includes medical, dental, vision.  Getting old has some advantages--LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I Cobra'd my vision and dental insurance when I retired.  

My purpose with holding onto the vision insurance was because I was due for new glasses farther into my first year of retirement, so the insurance covered the majority of that big expense.   The paltry amount I paid monthly to keep the insurance was a drop in the bucket towards the new glasses.

I chose Delta Dentals top plan as well, which costs about $35 a month now.  I've been retired 9 1/2 years now, and have no complaints with this coverage.   

Respected Contributor

The only thing I will say is investigate and be very clear on what the dental insurance plan will and will not cover. 

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@BunSnoop    Its not covered under most Advantage Plans either.  It would make insurance prohibitively expensive.

Most dental plans have about the same benefits and coverage, and don't pay nearly enough to cover the more expensive procedures.  If they did, the insurance companies would lose money

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I do not have dental insurance.  Every plan I looked at requires that I have to go to one of their dentists in the plan.  I have been going to the same one for at least 30 years and he isn't in any plans.