Trusted Contributor

Any Good Dental Insurance Plans?

I hope to retire next year.  I currently have dental coverage through my employer.  When I retire, I will no longer have that coverage.

Went to the dentist this a.m. and asked the woman that does billing...what do most of the patient's do when they lose their dental coverage......do they pay everything on their own, or do they go with an insurance plan?

She said it's a difficult situation.  She said some people go without dental insurance and put the amount that they may have paid for a dental premium in a separate savings account that is just for dental expenses. 

She said you also have to keep in mind you're dental history - do you have fairly good teeth/gums and occasionally need to have some dental work done, or do you have a dental history the includes many issues?

She mentioned some patients have Physician's Mutual.  She did not mention if it was expensive, and if it provided good coverage.  She suggested I look into a few companies, and then let her know and she can let me know what type of experience they've had with that particular company.

If you're retired and paying for dental insurance, are you satisfied with the coverage and approximately what do you pay a year?    

Thank you!!!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Any Good Dental Insurance Plans?

We have had 2 different carriers.  Both had a $1500 cap.  I think it should be your choice to use that $1500 toward any one procedure, but you can't. We'd end up owing the dentist but still have part of the $1500 left at the end of the year.  Personally I do not think dental insurance is worth it.  Our dentist gives a discount for cash payments.  It's been cheaper in the long run.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not retired yet.  We had dental insurance for years through our small company that we own (family only).  One day I sat down and did all the calculations.  The amount we were paying monthly in dental insurance premiums, totaled, for the year, almost exactly what we would pay if we paid for two cleanings per person each year, without any insurance at all.  So really, it was a wash.  Now if extra things were needed, that was a different story.

Long story short, the insurance company did something that p1ssed me off, so I cancelled it (long story.)  I ended up getting a dental discount plan.  I pay a yearly fee for the discount plan, ~ $100 or so, and then get a discount for services.  I had to look for a dentist who takes that plan, but found two close by.  That plan saves me more money that the cost of it.  Good luck with your decision.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

Will you be on Medicare?  I have a Medicare Advantage plan which includes dental; free cleaning, free crowns and other benefits.

Esteemed Contributor

We have never had dental coverage ( my teeth are great, DH's the opposite).  Since we retired 15 years ago DH has had many very expensive procedures (around $50,000). We've paid as we go and used Care Credit, ( interest free for upto 2 years) and, for us, its been doable.

Honored Contributor

DH and I have Delta Dental.  It is $120 a month for coverage for  both of us.  It is the best plan they have yet..... yesterday,  I had a crown replaced  and payed out of pocket $550.  They covered about half. Cleanings are payed in full...I get 3 cleanings a year....they cover most X-rays... I am not really sure if in the long run it is worth it or not.... my teeth have a lot of ISSUES....my husband has the "good" teeth....

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

Will you be on Medicare?  I have a Medicare Advantage plan which includes dental; free cleaning, free crowns and other benefits.

@henderson  How much do you pay for this advantage plan?

Trusted Contributor

Hi @henderson, we're thinking of getting the Medicare Traditional Plan rather than the Medicare Advantage Plan.   I do not believe dental is covered under the Traditional Plan.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always had dental insurance when working. Ran the figures and decided it is a rip-off to take out personal dental insurance. I pay as I go and deduct it from my income tax. Works very well for me!

BTW: I have the traditional Medicare plan + a supplement & Part D. Sure, it's expensive. But it's my health! Why would I use an inexpensive insurance for a long-term coverage that may be very expensive in later years? Not taking that risk!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

We  have dental through Met Life since I taught for the state.

I might suggest you look at AARP which is a strong group of retired people.  They will likely offer health plans at a good rate to members since numbers is a major bargaining chip for low rates.