Honored Contributor

I think my mother was born with anxiety; she and her entire family were certainly walking examples of this condition.   

Anxiety causes my mother to always think worst case scenario with everything, but she has never gone into a panic mode with making phone calls.   She does shock me sometimes with what she works up inside her head.  

One week last spring, I was busy with appts, and didn’t talk to her for 4 days.  When I called on day 5, she sounded a bit off to me.  I asked if she was okay, and she said yes, but said she wanted to know how I was doing?   I told her I was fine, just a little tired, and her response was “I bet you are”.   The jist of that odd conversation was that my mom thought I had my knee surgery that week and didn’t tell her!   Her reasoning for that decision was not talking to me for 4 days, and not seeing my husband outside when she’d look out her window!   

Mom was diagnosed with cognitive changes in September; but what I see, indicates she’s farther into dementia than what her doctor has documented.  Mom continues to function well in her home, but remove her from that familiar environment, and she’s lost.   Each week gets more interesting.