Super Contributor

Re: Another young women dies from the FLu

WOW...I'm just getting over the FLU now.  Never even considered that it could be deadly.  I am a healthy woman (NO medical conditions ) so I guess I've just been ignorant of the potentially severe risk to healthy people.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

This is very sad and all those that have died, just heartbreaking!!!

What on earth can anyone do to avoid this deadly flu??

They said to wash your hands , stay clear of crowds of  people, I saw someone in the supermarket wearing a mask. They did say that the theraflu some children and adults are given  when leaving a doctors visit might be causing a  problem  because they say that this medicine maybe causing some patients immune system to fight against this strain of the flu .. I carry purell with me and use it very often. 

I've been noticing more and more people wearing masks. I need to carry purell with me, thats a good idea.

Yes, I have been doing it and my family as well. Yes, it is the second best thing to do.Also they were saying when washing your hands include your elbows too.

Esteemed Contributor

Be well everyone! God bless!

Trusted Contributor

I guess this sounds a little over the top. This is what I do. When I go into a store I wear a pair of winter gloves. I do not take them off in the store.  If I have to sign for a credit card or anything I keep the gloves on. When I get in the car I’ll take those gloves off and put them on the floor. I leave them there for a day or two. Then I use the Pruell on my hands. I go into another store I put on a different pair gloves and do the same thing all over again. If I buy anything at the store I wipe it all down with a disinfectant when I get home. I have become a hermit this winter but with my age and two dogs I would hate to get sick. 

Super Contributor

Maybe this has been posted somewhere in the forums. 

I read a couple of days ago there is something called ADENOVIRUS. It feels like the flu, but isn't. Google if you're interested. Don't want to get in trouble for posting a link.

copy/paste:

The adenovirus has many of the flu's telltale symptoms but is rarely tested by doctors, leaving patients miserably sick until it passes.

Like the flu, the adenovirus can lead to many other illnesses, like upper respiratory infections, pneumonia and bronchitis. But, since there are 52 strains of the virus, it can also lead to other complications like gastrointestinal illnesses, urinary tract infections and pink eye.

Symptoms of the virus include fever, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose and a cough, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, making it difficult to discern from the flu.

"It would be really hard to tell it apart from influenza," Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security senior scholar Dr. Amesh Adalja.

The article goes on to say it's administered to the military, but not approved for the rest of us.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Respected Contributor

I am beginning to wonder what the effects Tamiflu and antibiotics (for secondary bacterial infections)  are having on the sudden death of children and adults, right after they seek treatment at a hospital?  Is there a bad batch of Tamiflu or antibiotics out there?  It is not usual for anyone to die from liver failure after having influenza.  Also, I have heard that when a full panel of microbe testing is done that many people have more than just influenza.  Some have influenza and coronavirus, or influenza and adenovirus, or influenza and metapneumo virus (something I have never even heard of before).  Perhaps it is those with combination illnesses who are dying so quickly and unexpectedly?  Who knows? Perhaps far more comprehensive (and expensive) testing is what is needed to get to the root of this 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the additional info, @Tabbycat ... as distressing as it is. 

@Jersey Born, I had not even considered potential risks from Tamiflu and antibiotics, etc. 

Almost too much concern to absorb, and my heart goes out for so very many families who have already lost loved ones. 

Twenty more people have died here in NC in the last week, bringing the total flu-related death count this season to 95, according to data released Thursday by the North Carolina Division of Public Health. 

Stay well all, I pray! 🙏

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Obviously, she wasn't sick enough to be at admitted.  The problem is that with the flu, patients can go from being sick to critically ill extremely fast and bed space is becoming a problem.    I wonder if that young woman is the one who declined the Tamiflu when she first went to the ER.  She went home, her condition declined and she died.  Tamiflu side effects, which are extremely rare, are a headace and mild nausea.  So, I don't know why a person would decline it with all that's going on now.  It's true that the vaccine is only 20-30% effective but that's better than nothing.  Also, people who do come down with the flu despite being vaccinated, have much milder symptoms.   

Mild side effects from Tamiflu?

I personally can line up 18 people I know who took Tamiflu in recent years and call it the devil.  They all have the same story, they went from a miserable flu to the flu with nausea, vomiting and loose stools.  

Many doctors I know now explicitly warn pts that although Tamiflu may reduce the duration of the flu by 17 hours they may add to there symptom list of problems.

It is a hard decision.  

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I guess this sounds a little over the top. This is what I do. When I go into a store I wear a pair of winter gloves. I do not take them off in the store.  If I have to sign for a credit card or anything I keep the gloves on. When I get in the car I’ll take those gloves off and put them on the floor. I leave them there for a day or two. Then I use the Pruell on my hands. I go into another store I put on a different pair gloves and do the same thing all over again. If I buy anything at the store I wipe it all down with a disinfectant when I get home. I have become a hermit this winter but with my age and two dogs I would hate to get sick. 

I USE PURELL AND IT SEEMS TO WORK WELL when I cannot wash my hands. I hate to bust your bubble but, the germs are on your gloves. With the exchange of money the purell works better then your gloves. And yes the gloves and the masks are very much overthetop.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

These reports of ‘healthy’ people being stricken with the flu,

in my opinion, are misleading.   It’s not like someone walks out 

of a yoga class & automatically dies of flu out in the parking lot.

The woman in this thread went to the hospital when she had

trouble breathing. Articles also implied she had lots of stress

in her life.  Add all that & maybe have diabetes and/or

heart disease, the body will break down quickly.

“But young children and people who have an underlying illness,

such as heart disease, lung disease or diabetes, are susceptible

to dying from the flu as well, he said.”

IMO, it’s not as innocently random as everyone is implying. 

There’s nothing misleading about it.  There is no magical way to avoid the flu. No matter how healthy you think you are.