Respected Contributor

Re: Another school shooting with multiple fatalities

@qualitygal wrote:

The local people need to get together, with the schoolboard and figure out what they can and have to do.  I just last week asked my husband if he'd heard of any school yet making any changes to protect the school kids.  He hadn't, and neither did I.  They need to quit setting on their hands and waiting to be rescued.  Get out there and get busy, what's the holdup!! 

Money and other resources are in short supply. School budgets have been slashed to the bone and teachers are spending their own money on supplies and textbooks. Where will the money be found to pay for armed guards and metal detectors?

Esteemed Contributor

Killings are never going to stop.  They have been around since the beginning of time.  People used rocks, battle axes, poison, hanging, choking to death, bows and arrows, knives, vans, trucks, guns and a lot more.

It's not the tool, it's the person behind the tool and if you take away one tool, they will find another to use.  If that person is bound to kill, there is no law that will stop them.  They will just find another tool.

Honored Contributor

EBDF14A5-AD03-498F-B732-20EF8502BF35.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@saltysails wrote:

I am so sadden to hear this news.  I wonder if this killer was on drugs or had mental health issues.  We really need to keep weapons out of the hands of children unless under adult supervision.  Do we know how the weapon was attained?

@saltysails I read he used his father's unsecured revolver and shotgun.   I have no words for that.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3, ITA with you, I basically said the same thing on another thread about this on Community, and I was being a "cop-out"!  Some people just don't understand criminals do not obey the laws and so many parents are not paying attention to their kids and what they are doing.  If any laws need to be changed, it's making parents reponsible for underage kids crimes, I bet then they will take notice then!  Changing gun laws is not the answer!

Regular Contributor

While we don't know the 'why he did it' most of these school shootings have to do with bullying or perceived mistreatment of the perpetrator.    Anybody can get some weapon or tool of destruction==time to attack the people issues that cause folks to do this.   There are a lot of lonely, sad kids who cannot handle what happens to them through the social infrastructure that makes up schools.   Sometimes I wish there wa a 'life skills or coping skills or self-defence type class within the educational curriulum.   Start hacking away at thoee kids that have issues.

Respected Contributor

So he illegally had a pistol and a shotgun.  So apparently banning assault weapons and/or making it illegal for him  - at 17 (which was already the law) to have any sort of gun would not have helped.

Nonetheless, let's ban all guns - because now we have incontrovertable evidence that they are ALL potential weapons of mass murder.  So let's confiscate them from all legal gun owners.  Yes that will definitely solve this problem.

And didn't he also have explosives?  Hey here's an idea - let's ban them too.

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Vivian wrote:

It happened in Santa Fe, Texas. Details are sketchy but how much longer will we put up with these horrors? Will lawmakers do something only if their own family members are victims?

Oh no, not again.

Lawmakers apparently aren't interested enough to do anything. If they were, something would have already been done.

I pray for these children and the faculty. Please, No More.

Please specifically tell me what law  - not already enacted - would have stopped this particular shooting?

Honored Contributor

The one thing we can change is how we raise our children.They need to have better coping skills,mental health evaluations,more family time,less social media and we need to be sure they feel loved,cherished and respected at home.I don’t think parents can communicate too much with their children but I do think they aren’t doing it as much as in the past.Families out for a walk,dinner or event and most seem to be distracted by their cell instead of really paying attention to each other.

Trusted Contributor

I would say schools should have metal detectors, but whose to stop a crazy person from breaking a windown in the school and entering through it?

Unfortunately, there are no real answers because we live in a very unstable, evil world.  There's no going back.  And laws won't get more strict because of the political connection with government and the NRA. 

We are all at risk, sadly.