Respected Contributor

Re: Another debit card hack,

@dogsx3 wrote:

I am so upset,  to what is going on. This is at least my 5th or 6th this year. I always have my card, but somehow they get to my account and charge. It is mostly charges by doordash. I don't go many places, and only on safe sites to order on internet. I have changed my log  info and passwords.... any other things i can do ? thanks

You should be using a credit card.  Much safer.

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

I am so upset,  to what is going on. This is at least my 5th or 6th this year. I always have my card, but somehow they get to my account and charge. It is mostly charges by doordash. I don't go many places, and only on safe sites to order on internet. I have changed my log  info and passwords.... any other things i can do ? thanks

I think I would not have waited after the first instance to report it and get a new card.  When it happened a second time, well I would think you are part of the problem for the 4th, 5th, and 6th time.  Why would you let it go on????

Trusted Contributor

i@rms1954 wrote:

@dogsx3 wrote:

I think I would not have waited after the first instance to report it and get a new card.  When it happened a second time, well I would think you are part of the problem for the 4th, 5th, and 6th time.  Why would you let it go on????

I did get new cards each time, it happened.  I didn' t let it go on, I just lived my usual life. I was hacked somehow. But thanks to some ladies ideas  here I will get prepaid card and use it. 

Valued Contributor

The reason credit cards are safer is charges on a debit card are taken from your bank account immediately  , and it's difficult to get it back .  Credit cards charges are left with the cc company and charge back and fraudulent charges are very easy to get removed .

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3  ... I ONLY use my debit cards at the supermarket and to withdraw money at an ATM machine.   I once heard that Debit cards should never be used online or any where where the card would be taken away from your sight.   I also keep all my debit cards and credit cards in RFID Sleeves to prevent hacking.  

Trusted Contributor

Get rid of your debit card,Had that happen just one time,never used it again!

Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

@Drythe wrote:

@dogsx3 

I do hope you are able to get that card cancelled, and another one issued Soon!

Just an aside, I use a Debit card on to which I place a small amount of $250.00 at a time.  It is NOT attached to any of my bank accounts.

I only use it to pay for things on line by going through PAYPAL.

I have done this for over 20 years without a single problem.  Even pay bills on line this way.  Easy to add funds as needed.

I hope this is corrected soon.

Is this the same as your bank debit/atm card?  Is it from your bank or like a gift card?  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

Always check the ATM machine and other devices before you put your card in.  Skimming devices are everywhere.

There was even one placed on my credit union's ATM at the drive up.  It could be covering the card slot, or the keypad.  Look for cameras too...always cover the keypad when you enter your pin.

Always use Pay Pal when possible.  That way merchants never have your debit or CC info.  

Make sure you check your bank statement every month and look for unauthorized charges.  Check online often as well.

I use my debit card often and have never had an issue.  My husband had a breech on his CC.  Someone was doing online gaming.  For the first two months, they put $8 on the card.  He didn't pay attention and report it, so I guess they got bolder.

On the 3rd month, they charged almost $800. He almost skipped that too, but was curious.  He asked me what I was charging on his card. We had to call the bank to find out what the charges were for.

These crooks are getting more resourceful in figuring out how to steal from you.  You have to be careful and always check your bank statements and watch your accounts online.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Drythe 

@Drythe wrote:

@dogsx3 

I do hope you are able to get that card cancelled, and another one issued Soon!

Just an aside, I use a Debit card on to which I place a small amount of $250.00 at a time.  It is NOT attached to any of my bank accounts.

I only use it to pay for things on line by going through PAYPAL.

I have done this for over 20 years without a single problem.  Even pay bills on line this way.  Easy to add funds as needed.

I hope this is corrected soon.

Is this the same as your bank debit/atm card?  Is it from your bank or like a gift card?  Thanks!  

@Sooner 

Hello,  The card is a debit card issued from my bank, but it is not attached to any of my other accounts.  It is a freestanding card with it’s own number, and if anyone steals it and uses it they can only get what ever amount I have In that account, the bank can’t attach any charges  made on it to any other account.  But, I can transfer funds on line from any other account to it.

I will say that my bank charges me NO fees for checking, transactions, on line banking, fund transfers, membership, debit, or credit cards.  If they did I might feel different about having an extra card and account.  They did ask why I wanted a second debit card, but it was not a problem, apparently parents provide these for their kids!  Wish I had had that luxury.

I travel a lot, worst case, I can only lose a limited amount of money, and can load more $ on to it as long as there is safe computer access.  Also pay bills, and use PayPal with this card.

Hope this is clear, and not too long, just want to be clear.

Best Wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Stop using a debit card. The only place I use my debit card is at my bank's  ATM. 

@deeva     ITA! we had our debit card hacked about three years ago and stopped using it except for the ATM.  We use a designated Visa card with reward points and buy EVERYTHING  on it.  Pay it off in full each month... no more worried about our debit card or checking accound being hacked and get paid for using it too. It is a win win.