Honored Contributor

Re: Another awful christmas eve

@Luvsmyfam it makes total sense that you are feeling down and I'd never criticize you for that. I hope you can settle in with some snacks and a movie and try to make it a nice holiday. We're avoiding our big family gathering because it's likely someone in attendance might be asymptomatic and pass on the virus. We are attending an 8pm church service in the hopes that most members fall into the plus 65 group who are 90% vaccinated in our state.

Trusted Contributor

@Luvsmyfam I'm sorry your feeling down, life's not fair sometimes.

Can you still go to your parents tonight, I'd bet they'd love to see you.

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

I'm feeling a little low q friends.3 ppl in my family including my 23 yr old grandson have tested positive with covid.that means no going to my parents house christmas eve and no grandchildren,daughter and ex-husband christmas day.yes,I know there is always next yr,but my parents are in their 80 s.who knows how long they will be with us.I'm just so very sad right now

We had some change in plans as well.  Step son and his wife had to cancel and her daughter tested positive for covid.  My daughter and her family are still coming.  Some of my siblings had to change their plans as well.  Discouraging for sure but can celebrate later too.  We are going to get together later.    Last couple years has been challenging but keep the faith.  

Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum I understand your dilemma.  I will have dinner with close friends tomorrow. I am currently watching the Spirit of Christmas presented by the Latter Day Saints. Each year, they have an extraordinary program.  Later, I will try to find the St. Olaf University Christmas programs, watch Charlie Brown Christmas online,  a slew of movies on Lifetime, BET, and Hallmark, and enjoy some popcorn.  This will bring me joy and i hope you find some comfort.

Trusted Contributor

Hope everyone is well and not symptomatic. You don't have to "wait until next year". They can quarantine or isolate and be sure of their health. Then you all can get together in a couple of weeks. Christmas isn't just a day, it's a sentiment and a feeling of family closeness. So in a few weeks or a month from now or the 2nd Saturday in February you can do it.  It's your family and the love will always be there. 

Make up your mind to get this togetherness together. Let all who tested positive  be well and healthy and able to get through all health challenges. Then rejoice.  Christmas cannot be ruined unless you accept it only as a date not a family gathering you can re-schedule

Wishing you a way to Think Positive in the light of the concern for those who test positive. Be merry. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can certainly understand wanting to have the entire family gather but if you haven't tested and your parents haven't positive, you can still go to their home and spend the holiday with them.

Does your grandson reside with your parents? @Luvsmyfam 

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam I'm so sorry for this. I hope they recover well. As you say it's sad and disappointing and I don't blame you for being down in the dumps. Hopefully in days or weeks to come the health of all of them will improve.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   How disappointing.  The past few years have not been easy.  We can hope that things go back to normal soon.

I saw that the airlines cancelled almost 200 fights out of my area today because of COVID. There will be a lot of sad people who will be alone.

Hopefully, everyone will recover and get better.  That is the important thing.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas in spite of this awful COVID.

Honored Contributor

The reason for the season is just too great for dwelling on sad thoughts.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam 

I am so sorry, I know the issues are hard to take but we will get through this.

I have to always be up.  A mother's heart spreads out to everyone to nurture, but having lost a young son a month after Christmas takes you to levels you never have known and don't want to know for that matter.

The time will come.  Do a Christmas in whatever month you chose when all are healthy and be thankful that although sick, you have them to hold in your arms.

Sending you prayers and blessings.