Respected Contributor

Re: Annabelle Update 5/16/22

@ECBG   I am continuing to think about her and send prayers.  I know how awful it is to fall.  Two weeks ago, I tripped on pavers and  I face planted on a big landscape rock while taking out the trash.  My face was swollen, cut and bruised.  I looked like I had been in a fight with Mike Tyson.

Tell her we are thinking about her and falling is no joke - I'm healthy and fairly fit, and it happened to me, so it can happen to anyone.  The strangest thing is as you are falling it seems like slow motion, and for some reason, my hands never seem to try to break the fall - just bam, down on my face.  

Hoping she is feeling stronger each day and those bruises are healing and the knot is starting to go away. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2

MY GOODNESS!!!

Are you ok after that fall?  You could have broken your nose, cheek, teeth, so much it is scary.  Please take care.

Esteemed Contributor

I have made a habit of putting my hand on my handrail anytime I go in or out!

Just a good practice, so it will be "automatic" when I get older and really need to hold on!

If you are afraid of public handrails, carry some small plastic sandwich bags to use over your hand and discard.   You can't be toooo safe!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, she posted that she has a half moon stairway leading up to her front door. 

At the time we were considering one when building, but our home is raised up about 7 feet from the ground and it would've taken up too much space in the front yard.

Many times people don't have a railing installed with this style.  

ETA:  I'm not positive it was Annabelle though, I could be wrong!

@Lucky Charm 

Thank you.  The stairs are half moon and thankfully, rounded on the edge.  

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

Just adding something we learned when my husband had a severely fractured femur:  rolling walkers aren't recommended for everyone and especially with orthopedic injuries.  Our docs and PT's prescribed a walker without wheels! For safety reasons.  Same with my sister with broken ankles:  no wheels.  Both went from plain old walkers with tennis balls on legs to canes and then on.  Will just depend on what is going on with Anna long term.  

@Jk9 

Many thanks.  I had no idea at all.  You have opened my eyes.

Respected Contributor

Ramps aren't neccessarily a good option if someone still can walk.  Ramps are more for someone that uses a wheelchair or scooter & can become like a ski slope in wet or icy weather, especially if someone is no longer as sure-footed as when they were younger.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe they gave her the cane because she can only use one arm right now. A walker would be of no use to her.

I remember @ECBG  said one arm was also damaged and if so, a cane works better.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I believe they gave her the cane because she can only use one arm right now. A walker would be of no use to her.

@Sage04 

Unfortunately, the right hand was included in the fall, and damaged; she is right handed.  That's why she has a hard time texting.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Sage04 

Unfortunately, the right hand was included in the fall, and damaged; she is right handed.  That's why she has a hard time texting.

@ECBG  I certainly understand and that's why they gave her a cane instead of a walker.

She can also walk along the wall on her left and that will give her some balance if she forgets the cane and I'm sure that's what's  she's doing. She's smart she will find a way.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@ECBG   I am continuing to think about her and send prayers.  I know how awful it is to fall.  Two weeks ago, I tripped on pavers and  I face planted on a big landscape rock while taking out the trash.  My face was swollen, cut and bruised.  I looked like I had been in a fight with Mike Tyson.

Tell her we are thinking about her and falling is no joke - I'm healthy and fairly fit, and it happened to me, so it can happen to anyone.  The strangest thing is as you are falling it seems like slow motion, and for some reason, my hands never seem to try to break the fall - just bam, down on my face.  

Hoping she is feeling stronger each day and those bruises are healing and the knot is starting to go away. 

@CAcableGirl2 : That was horrible. Hope you are ok and feeling better.