Esteemed Contributor

Re: Annabelle Update 5/16/22

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Ramps aren't neccessarily a good option if someone still can walk.  Ramps are more for someone that uses a wheelchair or scooter & can become like a ski slope in wet or icy weather, especially if someone is no longer as sure-footed as when they were younger.

@aubnwa01 : We removed the wooden ramp on our front porch and had cement ramp installed because of the texture. Just repainted the front porch and fine sand was added to the paint to add extra non slip texture.

@SouthernBee 

OOooooo!  That sounds very attractive!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG : Well considering that the ramp is necessary for me but still looks so much better. At first, friends thought this was one of my craziest ideas of all but they prefer the cement instead of the wood.😄😄😄

@SouthernBee  how long is the ramp? Does it have railings? We flip houses and right now in the back of one house off of the kitchen door there is a concrete ramp about 5 feet long and the Contractor put railings on both sides that leads unto the grass and I asked him why and he said "You never know, things happen" I like it. It looks real good.

On the front he built a porch. Got rid of the concrete and put wood. It's a big porch with railings and four steps. I like it too.  It seems as if here in Georgia most modern houses have porches with steps and railings.

@Sage04 : I live in Georgia. Not exactly sure about the ramp length. My front porch is flat to the ground about one inch but small and narrow. Step down out of door about 2 inches and ramp about 3  1/2 feet. Really not enough room for railing. With the ramp and using my walker feel better about getting out of the door. I use my stand up walker when going out with my friends. Normally my two friends stand in front of me when I am exiting the door. One holds the storm door open and the other ready to assist. 

@SouthernBee  now I understand. You really don't need a rail. All you have to do is put the walker down on the ramp and you are ok. Good move.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 : Another thing about my front door that was difficult to explain: the threshold was difficult for me to walk on or try to step over. Every carpenter or contractor that looked at it all ways stated it was one of the better ones they had seen but for my problem no real solution 😳🤷‍♀️.  Adding the concrete ramp has made it easier. Just thought to add this since you and others flipping houses could possibly find a better threshold for anyone with balance or mobility issues.

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Sage04 : Another thing about my front door that was difficult to explain: the threshold was difficult for me to walk on or try to step over. Every carpenter or contractor that looked at it all ways stated it was one of the better ones they had seen but for my problem no real solution 😳🤷‍♀️.  Adding the concrete ramp has made it easier. Just thought to add this since you and others flipping houses could possibly find a better threshold for anyone with balance or mobility issues.

@SouthernBee  we never know who will be buying the houses and that's why the Contractor makes sure it's done up to code and beyond. Putting rails where ever possible. On a house with a basement he puts rails on either side because he said you never know if the buyer is right or left handed.

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing we haven't done is putting rails in the bathroom. The buyer can do that when or if needed. With @Annabellethecat66 railing should be put in her bathroom and shower and also a shower chair.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

The only thing we haven't done is putting rails in the bathroom. The buyer can do that when or if needed. With @Annabellethecat66 railing should be put in her bathroom and shower and also a shower chair.

@Sage04 : In 2015 we had our tub changed to walk in shower . This was our first major home improvement. Can't remember the correct name but purchase a more expensive shower chair that is easier to keep clean and doesn't rust .

Honored Contributor

Some suggestions for the bathroom:  I am short but still difficult to bend down to sit on the toilet. Found this on the internet:8F48A3B0-1D6B-4BD4-B43A-090D30EBFECD.jpeg

This was a cheaper solution instead of purchasing a new toilet. Really made everything easier for me. 
The shower chair with the back helped me feel safer in the shower. I get tired while taking a shower and washing my hair.

DBE87F72-F593-4A8C-B96C-9BFF6D3EE7F8.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

Many Thnks!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I believe they gave her the cane because she can only use one arm right now. A walker would be of no use to her.

I remember @ECBG  said one arm was also damaged and if so, a cane works better.

@Sage04 wrote:

I believe they gave her the cane because she can only use one arm right now. A walker would be of no use to her.

I remember @ECBG  said one arm was also damaged and if so, a cane works better.

@Sage04 

Correct.  Many Thanks!Smiley Happy