Honored Contributor

Re: And the latest scam to separate you from your money.....

@Sage04 wrote:

Some people answer because it´s fun to mess with the person on the line. I should start answering and have some fun.  Years ago i pulled a ¨Jerry Seinfeld¨ on a caller. I said ¨Why don´t you give me your home phone number and I will call you later, and the person said I can´t do that, so I said it´s ok for you to have mine but I can´t have yours. They hung up.

Haha!

I usually don't answer but this one particualr time I did and asked why are they calling...she said, "Because I can".  So I replied, "Well I can hang up" and I did.

Honored Contributor

Today I got one on my cell phone that had a number and said "international call - Bulgaria".    Uh, ok.

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me that even with caller ID people still continue to answer the phone when they don't recognize the number of the calling party. That's why these scammers keep on trying. If it's important they'll leave a message, otherwise, just don't answer the phone if you don't recognize the number or the name of the calling party. 

Everyone's circumstances are different.  When my husband was in assisted living, it was usually more convenient for his many caregivers to call me from their cell phones ( whose numbers weren't known to me), than to use the office phone. 

I always picked up, whether I recognized the number, or not.

Esteemed Contributor

People have no shame.  The thing about these disgusting tactics are that they know some will fall for it.  If it never worked all these things would disappear in a heartbeat!  Someone is taking the bait.....

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

These scammers aren't dumb. They know exactly who to target.  They buy lists containing phone numbers of people age 60 and older.  Many seniors are lonely, are likely to pick up the phone just to have someone to talk with and most have some money. They're so vulnerable to these scams.  It's disgusting and very sad.

This!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is another twist on an old scam. Used to say your grandson or granddaughter had been in a traffic accident, weren’t injured, but would have to stay in jail for several days, etc. Several grandparents actually gave thousands to complete strangers in an effort to save their grandchild. As a grandparent, I would do anything to help my grandkids, but even I could see through that scam. Biggest red flag is they want c-a-s-h!

Honored Contributor

I have been getting lots of calls lately from out of the country. I never answer. I also am quick to add contact info so I know who is calling. If it says unknown, I don’t answer. Only problem is with dr office where the main hospital number shows up but not the office or dr name.
Respected Contributor

The more you answer these calls, the more you will get them.

I NEVER answer scam callers and I can tell they are by my caller ID.  I get VERY little scam callers because they will always just get voice mail.

Esteemed Contributor

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer and then block it.  Only trouble w/that is the political calls.  They have access to many different numbers and keep calling using a different number.  I just keep blocking Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'm 73 and I am way smarter than the idiots who try to scam people.

Me too and I'm 85