Esteemed Contributor

Re: And So It Begins Tomorrow.......

@Annabellethecat66 , we have had a year of replacing msny things in our home.  It is 15 years old in November.  We are doing a new roof in the Spring.  Dorian did a number on that.

The advice to check with a realtor is good advice.  Make sure your money is well spent.

Good luck with the reno!  LM!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, Hope you have no termites!  We have done quite a bit to update our home recently.  New kitchen, remodeled two full and one half baths.  We put in a new driveway this summer, and we are in the process of having interior painting done.  We are not yet ready to downsize, so we get to enjoy our home.  I follow real estate listings closely and enjoy looking at all interiors on internet sites of homes for sale.  We don’t expect to get dollar-for-dollar back, but one wants to sell their home quickly for a fair price. 

We we just finished our work on our three season sun room,

paint and new carpet.  Kept our same furniture, but everything looks new and fresh.  Best of luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   Based on your title, I thought you were talking about christmas in September July, August, you choose!!!).

I'd way rather be doing what you're getting ready for rather than the next 4 months of days worth lumped together for buying stuff for others for something happening end of December.

Your improvements sound great especially the curved front porch opening. Would love to see this final project after it's complete!

Trusted Contributor

I congratulate you on updating your house.  I hope you stick with your decision to sell, downsize and move closer to one of your children.  I wish my MIL would sell her oversized home.

I would only suggest that you check to see what types of updates that buyers are interested in these days.  You don't want to put money into something that could deter a seller or may be unnecessary money.

Honored Contributor

Well guys, first, thank you for your well wishes (on even attempting my tasks)....I expect you guys to (what is it they say?)  Hold me to the fire?  Is that it?  Ha!

Well, I knew we had termites.  I know the signs because way back maybe in the 1990's we had them, so I'm not surprised.

I've always said I think this house is sitting on some kind of rock that draws lightning (either the trees next to it or the house has been hit 4 times)....

So, now I'm beginning to think I'm sitting on the mother of all termites.  Ha!  It is what it is...that's my favorite saying, can you tell.

So, I'll get that done....I've been looking at front steps but have to decide AND mostly find someone who'll do it right.

We all know how hard it is to find someone who'll do a good job.  

The poor guy that came today.  I'm a very out-spoken kind of person.  Not rude, just kinda like, "Don't try to put one over on me kind".

He was very nice.  He just gives the prices and does the measuring outside of the house.  The last time we had the walls done.

He said they don't do that much anymore.  Suits me fine because I'd rather not breathe in the stuff.

It's nice to be able to share some of this with you guys.

I know some of you are in the same position.  Many of us are widows and now we have to make the decisions on our own.

I was always the person here over-seeing everything whenever we had anything done.  Even though he was a builder and designed houses, etc; it was more like what they say about the Dr's kids.  You know, he's so busy with everyone else.................

So, I always took it upon myself to get stuff done and stand and watch and learn.  He was often busy doing houses (building, etc) somewhere else.  I did get to have his counsel though and that made me feel good.

Oh! The things I learned.  I know all about heat pumps, fixing dryers (my husband replaced the heating elements with me stuck there watching.  I know how to replace the inside of the toilet (did that several times).

I've helped a friend put in a new faucet in the kitchen and on and on.

I think in another life I was a guy.  Ha!

My husband believed a woman could do anything a man could do.  He taught my daughter (she wanted to learn) how to change tires, how to change her oild and she watched him replace the side window on our car, etc.

Her boyfriend just bought a house and even though his mother was visiting, he wanted my daughter there to make sure the house was a good buy.  I think it hurt his mom's feelings.

Anywant, didn't mean to go on.  Maybe I've goosed someone else here to get started on whatever they've been ignoring.

I hope I'm not the only one who's (finally) getting something done.

My middle daughter is going through the divorce from Hell, so myself and her sister's are helping her.  That takes up a lot of time too.

You know people think once the kid finishes or goes to college they don't need us anymore.

I've always told my girls, "I'll always have your back".  Husband's come and go (they do in my big family).  But I'll always be there for them.

Tomorrow I'm going with a friend to see Downton Abbey.  I watched it when it was on TV but my friend has never seen the show.

She's a really, really (add on one more really) big complainer, so I hope I live to regret this (taking her).

We are total opposites in every way.  But she is a widow and we have the same politics.  She's the one I eat with during the week.  She has a wonderful heart and that's what's important.....kindness.

Well, take care ladies.  Can you imagine being my friend?  I always say, "What you see is what you get".  I do love talking and hearing other people's stories.  

Oh!  I almost forgot.  I sent a friend of mine almost since I was born some money for her horse farm.  I don't know if I told you guys about her.  We went all of the way through school together.  I have a surprising number of friends like like.  We all lived near each other, went to school together and stayed in touch.

Anyway, I'd sent her some money to help pay for the horses she saves.  She takes these emaciated horses and brings them back to life.  She's wonderful.  She has a sister who does the same thing.

I received a thank you card from her.  She said they now have 70 horses they take care of on the farm.  She said her husband is putting together a coffee table book with pictures of the horses.  I'm sure the sale of it will go toward helping the horses.

She's an amazing artist.  I have two friends who are artists.  They've both sold their work and sold (I think it's called printed copies).

OK, so take care sweet ladies.  One of these days I'll figure out how to post some pictures.  

Oh!  Almost forgot.  When the termite guy came Bill the cat decided he liked him.  By the time he left he wanted to take Bill home.  No way!  He's my baby boy!

Today is a gift from GOD.  He's given us 24 hours to use as we wish.  When the day is done I hope I don't regret the price I paid for it.  

I love that saying......

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Once you do all that, stay longer. With good references, you can find an able cleaning service. Just have them clean the four or so rooms you use the most. I find the guest room and extra bath just need a quick clean every now and then.

@AuntG   I agree. We have a cleaning service for several hours every other week. They just do the first floor. Master bedroom/bath is downstairs. Since the kids are no longer home, upstairs is done only once a month and DH and I can do that since it’s never used unless GDs stay over. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 

You have a lot on your plate and admire that you've lived your life learning how to do things yourself.

I only have ONE comment in addition to everything here.  My husband is a bricklayer and brick steps = trouble.  The frequently don't hold up.  Of course, that won't be your problem once you are gone. Cat LOL

We have an all brick home that we built and it does simplify upkeep.  But, we still have to put a new roof on our nearly 30 year old Victorian....and what a roof it is, including a "witch hat" turrett. 

DH MAY be able to help with it, but I don't want to see him suspended from a line swinging around like the first time.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Our best friend who just died was a bricklayer.  He had his own business.  He and his 'guys' put in a walk way and patio out back in my yard after my husband died.

The one I wanted has a brick surface (or side) with cement around it.  I have some ideas and have looked at some pictures.  

I do like hearing from everyone about ideas and your post also makes sense.

I have a feeling I'll be here 'til the end'.  Ha!  Just the idea of living in a 'condo/apartment' just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, like I think I've said, "I really don't like it up in Fairfax.  So many people are rude and it's a different way of life up there.  It's only a few miles but boy is it different.

I thought about building another one-level smaller house up that way but land up there is very, very expensive.  (It's closer to D.C.).

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Yes, everything in the area is expensive!

I'm in Southern Maryalnd (Charles Co.), and homes are always going up.  With a 40 mile commute to DC, it's not ideal.

I did it for many years and retired in 2010.

I wish you the best in getting our house just as you want it.  I will never move if I don't have to.  We took 4 years to build this home....I love it with all my heart.  My last move is as ashes in the woods!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Then you are familiar with Northern Virginia.  

Out where I live, we try to avoid Fairfax!  Ha!  I think it's going to be funny (but sad, not Ha Ha funny) when those people from Amazon move out to Crystal City.

They'll come out our way (probably mine and your's) thinking just because the houses are a little bit cheaper, they're getting a bargain.  It's true, a house might be a little cheaper, but it now takes (often) as much as 1 1/2 hours to get into DC (on a good day).

A lot of people I know used to do the same kind of drive you did but out here.  My friend I eat with used to leave her house at 5:30 AM to get to DC for her government job.  She worked 10 hours a day and had Friday's off.

She finally got so burned out she retired early.  She says she doesn't know how she did it for all those years.

A lot of those jobs could be work at home jobs.  I'll never understand why they don't allow that.

That said, not a lot of people have the tenacity and are not single-minded enough to work from home.

I know I could never do it.  I'd be watching TV, eating, talking on the phone (everything but my job).  Ha!

My youngest daughter works from home .  She's amazing!  She has her house set up so her office is downstairs.  It's exactly like an office.  She does conference calls, meetings, everything you'd do in a regular office, but she's at home.

She spent a month here in August (she lives in Denver).  She worked every day either at her sister's house or mine or at a hotel.  She traveled and worked some during the day, then went sight-seeing, etc.

She even brought her dog (drove here alone with the dog).

She made sure we all knew she was working and none of us called and chit-chatted.  When she broke (and does the same thing at home) for lunch or to walk the dog, she lets the people who work for her know she's unavailable, then comes back and lets everyone know, she's back.

She often works long hours (sometimes 11 hours), so it's a win-win for her company.

I watch Live PD on A&E channel.  It's a real police show.  One of the places they film from (it's supposedly REAL TIME is Charles County,Maryland.  

They show cops from all over the US.  It really makes you understand how different some of the laws in each state are.

I think generally, they're similar in Maryland and Virginia.  DC is sometimes different from both of us.

I always say people come here from other countries and don't understand that, while this is the United States of America, states have some very different laws (especially when it comes to driving and cars, etc).