Honored Contributor

And So It Begins Tomorrow.......

Tomorrow I'm having Terminix come to tell me if I have termites.  When my husband was alive (years ago) we had the house treated and I think they might be back.

So, after that, I'll get a new roof.  Then I am going to get the entire front porch rebuilt.  I always wanted half-moon shaped brick front steps and I'm going to get it done.

Then the house will get repainted on the outside, the little bit of siding will be washed.  It's almost entirely brick so there isn't much there to do.  They don't make all brick houses anymore.  Cheaper to put up siding.

After that will come a new driveway.  The driveway is over 200 ft long, so that will be interesting.

The house isn't in bad shape and these are all cosmetic things I've wanted to do.  

After that I'll start on the inside and get new wall to wall carpeting and on and on.

I've told my girls I want to live in it for at least 6 months when I get it the way I want it to look.  After that, I'll move (it's huge and they want me to sell it and move closer to my oldest daughter).  She manages my investments, etc.  

I'm in the same situation as many of you.  I'm a widow that's getting older.  It's more difficult to keep up the house.

I could hire a housekeeper, but I hate having anyone in my house.

I can't end this tirade without one giggle.  I keep saying to friends what I've said here.....EXCEPT....

I start off with "I'm having Netflix come to see if I have termites". 

People are like, "Netflix now does termite inspections?  I knew they were branching out but when did they start doing termite inspections?"

It takes me a minute and I say, "I mean Terminix, not Netflix". 

My friends just laugh and say, "Only you would mix the two up".

Respected Contributor

Re: And So It Begins Tomorrow.......

Netflix - you are a hoot! 

Denise
Super Contributor

Good for you to decide to get the things done to your house...as you always wanted to......also .....for you to live in the for a period of time so you can enjoy...

I’m wondering why you wanted....

good luck trying to find honest good workers to complete the jobs...

Honored Contributor

Once you do all that, stay longer. With good references, you can find an able cleaning service. Just have them clean the four or so rooms you use the most. I find the guest room and extra bath just need a quick clean every now and then.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Great ideas for your home  !

One concern: half moon front steps can be dangerous if a person isn’t paying attention to where the curve is.  Had a friend who misjudged, fell and broke some bones in her ankle.  Please be careful....maybe place some potted plants where the curving starts.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 You're my guiding light.  Always.  Move closer to me, we have 4 perfect seasons!  The craft shows are wonderful being the home of the Applechian Guild!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

After reading your post @Annabellethecat66 I could only smile and hope you don't have termites. Thanks for sharing!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 : I downsized from the big house last year.

Ask a few Realtors for their professional advice about making so many repairs to your house. It may not be money well spent. 

I would suggest that you consider investing in basic elements to max out your curb appeal and anything needed to pass a home inspection and not much more than that. Mortgage rates are at their lowest since 2011. If you are in a desirable location buyers will be out there for your house now and you can move on to the next, and hopefully wonderful chapter of your life.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Enjoy!  Obviously your home brings you great comfort & joy!  

I am always coming up with home improvement projects but my spouse favorite saying is "the next owners can do it!".  So my standard answer is "guess that's gonna get done by ME since he's older!"

I kid him "when you die I'm getting a poodle & cadillac like every other widow living here then I'm doing my "wish list" of home improvements starting with hardwood floors...to bad you won't be here to see it!"  (i hate rugs he loves them plus the cost is $$$ for this house).  

I'm happy you're getting your wish list and hope you don't have termites!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with the termites & all the other renovations!! 🥰