Esteemed Contributor

Re: And So It Begins Tomorrow.......

@Annabellethecat66 

I started my Federal Career on Capitol Hill on the House side, moved to the White House, then to a Federal agency.

By the time I left, I was getting up at 3 a.m., on the bus by 5 and at work by 6:30 or 7.  The return trip often took 2 hours.

Used to work at home a day a week, then had to stay home for a month or so while they rennovated the office.  I was very disciplined about it (like your daughter) and loved the quietness of being at home.  No drop in yackers or gossips.

After 38 years, I'd had enough of the commute. 

I've always lived in Maryland, Charles County, ever since moving here in 1973.  Virginia is like another country to us Cat LOL 

Both states are beautiful and I cannot imagine living anyplace else!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   When I originally moved here, I lived in DC and then in Chevy Chase.  I NEVER went to Virginia.  It took me several years to cross that bridge.  I had to take my BIL to Dulles Airport (it was a dirt road back then).

My commute is 15 miles and it takes me at least an hour most days.  I am able to work from home a lot and that helps to avoid days where it's raining or snowing.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 

Dulles is a "pack your lunch" trip for me Cat LOL

Have only been to Chevy Chase maybe once.

DH and I used to "cross the bridge" to VA much more when we were dating.  We'd visit ethnic eateries around the area, especially Alexandria and Arlington.  

As time when on, it got to be such an ordeal, we just stopped.  Rarely leave the area for dinner unless it is to Annapolis to Ramshead Tavern for a concert.

While I love living here, the traffic and congestion/construction makes me not want to drive.  Used to go to Tysons, Springfield Malls in the past.  Haven't been to either in over 20 years.

When you finally stop commuting, you will wonder HOW you ever managed.

Glad you can work at home.  It's all that kept me sane at the end. Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   You're not missing anything at Tysons.  I go less than once a year because it takes me that long to recover.

There is just constant road construction going on.  It never ends.

I am going to try to become a working snowbird and see if my company will let me work remotely over the winter near one of our southern locations.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Enjoy the remodeling?