Respected Contributor

Any advice from those who have had their DNA done as to which site to use? I'm looking for heritage only. No long lost relatives or medical problems. Ancestry has a special today. Three kits for $162. My ds is interested in heritage as we are multi-racial. I was thinking of having mine, dh and my 89 yr old mom's done. I'm leary of my sons having it done. I've heard it can be used against you as far as insurance(?) They're only in their thirties and who knows how this testing will be used down the road. Dh, mom and me are old and have our insurance already in place. 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Ancestry dot com or...??

The negative?

It's not just about insurance.

If they find a unique gene in your DNA, they may use it for research.

And you get squat.

It can also be used by law enforcement, with a court order & you won't know.

No way am I handing over my DNA.

Anymore than I would leave my credit card face up in a parking lot somewhere.

If I want to research my ancestors (and I don't) I'll do it the old fashioned way

Honored Contributor

If you are not doing the medical side, there is no reason to be worried about insurance.  No one can discriminate against you or your children based on national origin alone if that's all you're doing.  

I did 23&Me so I can only speak for them.  They were incredibly accurate.  I am only 3rd generation American so I pretty much already knew my heritage and they give a ton of information for you to look through.  I am not sure I've even gotten through all of it yet in detail.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher  I will also add in terms of privacy that 23&Me was very explicit about what types of consent they wanted you to give to them in terms of using or sharing your DNA. 

I don't know what others do but 23&Me immediately codes you as a number so you are not sitting in a database with your name attached to your DNA in case someone ever did hack it.  In the event of a breach they would get millions of DNA profiles along with number codes but no way to personally identify you or anyone else.  I've also heard of people using a fake name if you are that worried about it.  

And 23&Me will not share your DNA outside of their own researchers if you don't want them to.  I was stepped through exactly who, if anyone else, I wanted to allow my DNA to be used for research purposes.  Some I allowed outright and some I said no to.  Some I said contact me and I'll let you know then. 

It was very upfront and above board but yes your DNA is always being used in house by whatever company you choose to hopefully get rid of some the diseases we have around now.

And you can choose not to share with the community at all too so no long lost relatives if you don't want them.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't do any of them.

It doesn't make any difference where you came from.  If you want to send me the $162 I'll tell you anything you want to know.....LOL

Your DNA goes into a data bank and that's just another privacy issue.

Super Contributor

I did Ancestry.com three years ago. They don't do the medical stuff. I wanted to know more about my heritage. I knew where my ancestors came from, but Ancestry goes back 2,000 years, so you are not all of any one thing. I have also found family members. This has helped me build my family tree. This is all fine with me. However, if you only want your heritage and no relative matches, you can do that, also. Ancestry will keep your information private to you only.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter if your sons do it or not.  If you do it, if any close relatives do it,  then their genes will be in the data base too.  I don't know what you mean by "insurance".  Life insurance companies and health insurance companies don't have access to those commercial sites.  It wouldn't help them because there are no genes that 100% guarantee that a person has or will develop a medical condition or die at predetermined age.  There's no gene that says "Bob" will get kidney cancer when he's 42 and die when he's 54.  The risk now is in law enforcement locating people from those private dna data bases, they can identify people from close relatives.  Also, a lot men have children out there that they no nothing about.  They had brief relationship or a one night stand and went on their merry way and never knew that the woman had a child.  Sometimes women aren't even sure of paternity.  Those relationships can and are being disclosed from those data bases.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used Ancestry.  You can choose how private you want to keep the results. They’ll ask if your results can be used in research; also, if you want your information shared with other matches.  I answered no to the research question but did want to share my results with other DNA matches.  

Honored Contributor

I'm often accused of being out of touch with and paranoid of new technology, and while I'd love to have my 82 year old mom get her DNA tested I won't recommend it for her or me or anyone else I love, at this point.

I believe that the science of this will most likely be proven not so accurate in the future, (as it relates to determining your ancestry), and why think something is so when it may not be. 

And I don't trust what the information will be used for in the future. I think that like much recent (last 20 years) technological advanced, the legal hasn't kept up with the science of it all, and the information collected has a real possibility of being used against you in some form or another. 

Those of us who warned about Facebook and all it was doing were scoffed at, until recently it all broke loose. And I'm amazed at the people who were aghast, like they never heard it could be this way or never thought it could be true. 

The whole DNA thing has the same potential of being a hot mess, and a big invasion of your privacy and information being mishandled and misused. 

At this point, not for me.

Respected Contributor

I agree with all who say no to DNA testing. Insurance companies are going back to charging more or refusing people with pre-existing conditions. With few regulations now, what would prevent them from using information from these databases to charge high premiums or refuse people with certain diseases in their DNA? Just like people who say they don't care that there is surveillance everywhere, they are doing nothing wrong. People steal merchandise despite all the cameras and the cost is passed on to those of us who pay for our purchases.