Respected Contributor

Ancestry.com famous relatives?

Have any of you done a lot of work on your family trees through Ancestry? If so, have you found lots of famous relatives?

I have spent most of my time working on my tree (was bedridden 6 months due to foot injury). I have found so many famous relatives it's rediculous ! I'm not bragging, I'm wondering if the records on there are for real. I have followed each relative father to father and mother to mother, so I'm doing it right, but come on, I'm related to John Smith and Pocahontas, Cleopatra and Marc Antony, William the Conquorer, The first King of England, The King of Spain, and on and on. They aren't all good, King Herod slipped in, as well! This can't be real! Oh, Wyatt Earp and Woodrow Wilson, the two I was sure of haven't exactly shown up yet! I've checked to make sure I'm doing it correctly (I've lost the tree several times , once my fault, and once half simply vanished!) and spoke to Ancestry directly about some of my problems. I just wondered if everyone found this many famous relatives and it's a come on.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ancestry.com famous relatives?

[ Edited ]

"Cleopatra and Marc Antony"

"King Herod slipped in"

Smiley Surprised What type of records did Ancestry have that traced your ancestry back to the ancient Romans, Egyptians & Jews??? Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wondered the same thing! I got two lines back to Adam and Eve! I assumed the Bible or other religious records of the time. I read the Bible, you know, it lists, this one begat that one and so on! Beats me!

I can't remember the sources right now, many come from others who have researched. There is a way to follow the line, tho, if you click on top name it lists lineages.

I began doing this to find great great cousin, Pres. Wilson, for whom I received my middle name. My dh paid for the full membership, not cheap, as I basically could do little else. The farther I got, the more suspect it has become! I just wondered if anyone else had same experience? 

Otherwise, I'm due a shipload of castles!😉

Frequent Contributor

I use an ancestry.com extensively. Records are used from legal documents such as census records, ship passenger lists, birth records etc. Not Bibles. 

Honored Contributor

That is amazing.  My father's family has a full membership also.   As far as I know no one famous.  We have "current" family members who are "famous."

My family reunion is next weekend.  Will need to ask the person in charge of tracing our ancestry to see how far back our family goes to.

Honored Contributor

@Beaches 1956 wrote:

I use an ancestry.com extensively. Records are used from legal documents such as census records, ship passenger lists, birth records etc. Not Bibles. 

That has been my experience too.

Respected Contributor

I went back, Cleopatra info came from Netherland's genealogie online. 

Born1956: I assumed some of the relatives like Adam and Eve had to come from The Bible. I didn't think any other written records were kept from that time period. I could very well be incorrect, just didn't remember any records that were accessible from then when I taught World History. ( however, my major was foreign language, so ...🤔) It is an interesting thought...id love to know if records were collected and saved from the beginning!

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens

Sweetie, I think something went off the rails there in your tree.  Or... you have one hell of straight line ancestry,lol.

This thread cracked me up.  I'm not being mean, jewel, you and me are buddies.  

@Mz iMac  nearly made me joke to death on a mint with her reaction.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

That is amazing.  My father's family has a full membership also.   As far as I know no one famous.  We have "current" family members who are "famous."

My family reunion is next weekend.  Will need to ask the person in charge of tracing our ancestry to see how far back our family goes to.

Where is the reunion?( According to my tree, I'm probably related to you as well!😉) I don't think either of our families hold reunions tho I'd love to go to one!

Honored Contributor

OMG I'm dyin',  Stop it, I can't stop laughing.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise